Will a Photo-facial be able to fade the brown PIH that has developed as a result of bike accident 8 months ago. (photos)

I've consulted a skin specialist and the Doctor advises me to under go Frac CO2 laser, TCA spot peel QS Laser (3). However, I'd like to know whether a Photo-facial be able to fade the brown PIH that has developed as a result of bike accident 8 months ago?

Treatment of PIH

Thanks for your question. Before proceeding with ANY of the treatments you have mentioned, you should be on a skin conditioning program for about 12 weeks- including 4% Hydroquinone and Retin A (tretinoin) 0.05 to 1.0%. ZO Skin Health by Dr. Obagi is a great line (Melamin, Melamix, Tretinoin). If you do not pre-condition your skin in this way, there is a HIGH likelihood that these procedures will induce ADDITIONAL post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It does appear that in addition to the pigment you have some textural changes in the skin as well. Consider fractionated radiofrequency (example- Infini RF by Lutronic)- this in my opinion would be preferable to fractional CO2 in a skin type 4 which is what I expect you are based on the photos. TCA spot peel- I bet you would end up with a line of demarcation (lighter skin where the peel solution is placed, versus your surrounding skin- not a great plan and, again, I wouldn't touch your skin with TCA until it was pre-conditioned.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Nashua Physician