Is it safe for someone under age to take Garcinia Cambogia weight loss pills? (photos)

My mother received these Garcinia Cambogia XT supplement weight loss pills and they say for adults only, would someone underage, say 15 took them? Would it cause any dangerous affects?

Is Cambogia safe?

Garcinia Cambogia is a supplement to suppress appetite. Its effects are modest and as sole mode of intervention is not adequate. It is not a supplement that has been put through the scrutiny of well performed medical studies and the data on non-adults are limited. In general I am not a supporter of supplements for teenagers. My advise would be on developing a more encompassing program with short and long-term benefits and not on the current fad

Is Cambogia safe?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Underage use of Garcinia Cambigia for weight loss

Garcinia Cambogia is a weight loss supplement that has shown modest effect as an appetite suppressant in some studies.   In general, these studies were performed on adult subjects who were overweight or obese.  We can not say with reliability how Garcinia Cambogia will impact an adolescent who is still growing and developing. 

Because it is classified as a supplement rather than a medication, the manufacture and sale of Garcinia Cambogia does not come under the scrutiny of the FDA.  The quality of many botanical supplement preparations can be quite variable, and I would only recommend they be taken when obtained from a reliable company and under the supervision of a physician.

Unless it is from a proven retailer, these unregulated supplements need to be consumed with a healthy dose of skepticism.  

Garcinia Cambogia for adolescent weight loss

Although this plant derivative has been used for many years to suppress appetite, burn fat, boost metabolism & assist with weight loss,  appropriate doses for different body type, safety, efficacy & drug drug interactions have not been worked out.  Be aware that supplements containing G. cambogia have been linked with cases of liver failure leading to FDA warning even though cause & effect has not been proven. 

For an adolescent with weight issues, it is best to see an obesity expert, rule out endocrine issues & place on a healthy long term, manageable lifestyle and other medications for best possible customized care.  Remember: adolescents are still developing & risk:benefits and long term side effects of each intervention must be considered.

Best wishes with the weight loss journey!!

I Would Caution You Against Taking the Supplement

MaeLynn,

The weight loss benefits of Garcinia have been modest, at best.  There are a number of studies that have looked at this supplement for weight loss and the results were mixed.  Even in the studies that showed benefit, the results were not that great.  

What concerns me more about these supplements is that supplement manufacturers will put other ingredients in with the garcinia to try to increase it's effectiveness for appetite control.  Unfortunately, the supplement industry is not regulated like the pharmaceutical industry so you'll find all kinds of compounds included with your supplement, many of them being stimulants.  

Your best bet for weight loss is seeking out a doctor who can guide you through the proper diet.  If this doctor is trained as a weight loss specialist, they may also be able to prescribe medications for appetite control as well.  

Hope this helps,

Dr. Garry K. Kim

MaeLynn,

Hope this helps,

Dr. Garry K. Kim