Is it safe for someone under age to take Garcinia Cambogia weight loss pills? (photos)

My mother received these Garcinia Cambogia XT supplement weight loss pills and they say for adults only, would someone underage, say 15 took them? Would it cause any dangerous affects?

Is Cambogia safe?

Garcinia Cambogia is a supplement to suppress appetite. Its effects are modest and as sole mode of intervention is not adequate. It is not a supplement that has been put through the scrutiny of well performed medical studies and the data on non-adults are limited. In general I am not a supporter of supplements for teenagers. My advise would be on developing a more encompassing program with short and long-term benefits and not on the current fad

Houston Physician

Underage use of Garcinia Cambigia for weight loss

Garcinia Cambogia is a weight loss supplement that has shown modest effect as an appetite suppressant in some studies.   In general, these studies were performed on adult subjects who were overweight or obese.  We can not say with reliability how Garcinia Cambogia will impact an adolescent who is still growing and developing. 

Because it is classified as a supplement rather than a medication, the manufacture and sale of Garcinia Cambogia does not come under the scrutiny of the FDA.  The quality of many botanical supplement preparations can be quite variable, and I would only recommend they be taken when obtained from a reliable company and under the supervision of a physician.

Unless it is from a proven retailer, these unregulated supplements need to be consumed with a healthy dose of skepticism.  

Daniel J. Rosen, MD
New York Bariatric Surgeon