Acne scar treatment consult.. Is this normal?

I had my first consult with my first doctor in regards to acne scar treatment. He recommended dermabrasion and subcision/excision. He did not actually look at my scars (temple region which are covered by my bangs) also he did not explain the treatments at all. Is this normal? I plan on scheduling consults with other doctors as well so I'm just wondering if this is the norm. Thank you all.

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

I suggest seeing a completely different doctor. In my practice we evaluate your whole face, go over all the treatment options in details (which does entail a combation approach) and take photos in different lightening to see all aspects of your scars.  Please find someone similar.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne Scar Treatment in New York

There are various ways to treat scars and it all depends on the type of your scar and your skin type.  It can take a combination of injectables, creams, peels, or lasers to give the best results.  An in depth consultation in person is necessary to determine the best course of treatment.  Please consult an experienced physician in treating scars.  Best, Dr. Green

Treatment of acne scars in Los Angeles

We recommend the Hidef Acne Scar Protocol in our office which includes subcision, light chemical peels, laser resurfacing, fractional laser and RF, ematrix RF, acne surgery, fillers, and Melarase creams. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Acne scar

You already know the answer.
All patients should be carefully examined, all options explained, and all questions answered.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Acne scar treatment consultation

Generally a dermatologist would examine your scars before providing a treatment plan. Not all acne scars are the same. Some are red, some are hyperpigmented, some are raised, some are depressed. Each type of scar needs a different treatment. Options include various lasers, including Pulsed Dye and fractional CO2, chemical peels, intralesional kenalog (for hypertrophic scars), and platelet rich plasma, among many other treatment possibilities. Your dermatologist should explain the available options to you and help you choose the ones that are right for you.

Michael Ehrenreich, MD, FAAD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar treatments

Most doctors would give some form of explanation of the process, either verbally, written or videos. Nothing tells the story better than a short one to two minute video. Obviously our responsibly to voice the risks and benefits of any laser or surgical procedure, flip side, it is your responsibility to voice your concerns in regards to the particular scars that bother you.

Once you are aligned and feel comfortable with the doctor, you may want to proceed with the suggestions, or possibly get a second opinion. 

Cheers

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Aesthetic Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist