$12,000 to Remove Sagging Skin After Massive Weight Loss

I was huge, and lost a bunch of weight. All of the fat would not go away, and I got this sagging gut out front. I went to a doctor in Sugarland, Texas. He told me he could remove the sagging skin, and Liposuction the flanks and chest. Because of the large pockets of skin and fat, the doctor said that I would have to have this done at the hospital. Total cost would be around $12,000, $4,000 for the hospital. Is that too high?

What will it cost to remove my sagging skin?

The costs really vary from plastic surgeon. I would recommend that you check with the plastic surgeons that are members of the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons who specialize in this specialized area of plastic surgery. A lot of these procedures I do as an outpatient and even combine them. This also reduces the costs for the patient. I would be glad to give you a quotation if you send me photos. I do many out of town patients and many times give discounts to patients willing to tell their stories for news media.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Pricing for surgery

Your first concern should be that you are comfortable with your surgeon's experience with this type of surgery.  The cost is within the normal range - please consider that doing it in a hospital setting is more expensive than doing it in someone's office but safety should be  your top priority (it sounds like your surgeon is trying to be safe).

Best Wishes!

Pricing for surgery

Best Wishes!

Mid-range, but compare carefully

When patients are looking at post-extreme weight loss plastic surgery, be careful to compare the same procedures between doctors. Skin removal alone may not give you the appearance you want. Get a few opinions and then proceed once you have a good idea of the options, benefits and risks.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Mid-range, but compare carefully

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Check your insurance

Prophet,

If your weight loss was following bariatric (weight loss) surgery some of the skin removal, as well as, some of the hospital/anesthesia costs may be covered by insurance. Hospital based surgery is significantly more expensive than office based surgery. I'm not sure what "large pockets of skin and fat" has to do with the operative venue. I often perform full abdominoplasty and liposuction in my office operative suite at significantly reduced costs to the patient. For office based surgery $12,000 seems a bit high. Good luck!

Check your insurance

Prophet,

Abdominoplasty and Liposuction Reasonable Costs

Abdominoplasty is usually in the $7-8000 range and liposuction is usually 1500-2000 per area (counting both sides as one area). Since you are having surgery at the hospital their may be about $4000 in additional fees for the OR and anesthesia. Your quoted fee of $14000 sounds very reasonable.

An even better way to check cost is to look up your procedures on RealSelf.com and check the costs in your area.

Always check your surgeons credentials and make sure he is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Also, ask about his experience with post-bariatric surgery. You would like to hear that it is a common part of his practice.

Cost for Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

You are describing a significant amount of work that needs to be done. With a tummy tuck, and all that liposuction it will probably take about 6 hours to complete the work if turning needs to be done. I've run this through my system and came out with the same result. So yes I think you are right on the money for the surgery about to be performed.

Cost for Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

Pricing for Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

Pricing will vary depending on the exact procedure you need, the surgeon, and location in the country. Any surgery will include surgeon's fees, facility such as a hospital or surgical center or office surgery suite, anaesthesiologist and any implants if needed - which in your case you would not need any implants. Also, hospitals do not always charge a higher rate. Each individual surgeon will have different facility pricing. Do not choose your surgeon based on price alone. The highest priced surgeon may not always be the best. The lowest priced surgeon is not always the worst - but be wary of why they are the lowest. Definitely compare credentials and reputation first - board certification, hospital privileges in plastic surgery, recommendations from other doctors and your own friends and family. Once you are comparing apples to apples, then see who you like better and fits your personality and understands you the best. Once you have narrowed the list down, then look at pricing. If you pay a bit higher price but have a better result, it is much better in the long run. Those are usually the surgeons that will care for you the best after surgery also. If you get a really low price but never see your surgeon after surgery and only see assistants, that is not worth your investment.

Pricing for Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

Prices vary greatly, especially in this economy

I would suggest you see multiple surgeons, obtain quotes for the surgeries you are seeking and then compare the quotes from the surgeons you "clicked" with - be sure to compare "apples to apples" - board certified plastic surgeons, board certified anesthesiologist (this is a big one - you may be getting a certified nurse anethetist) and accredited hospitals or surgery centers. Good luck!

$12000 for the abdominoplasty and liposuction is reasonable.

Makes sure the quoted fee covers ALL the costs of surgeon, anesthesiologist, OR, etc. The fee quoted is in a reasonable range. Does your insurance cover any of it? Fees vary a lot depending on whee the surgery will be done, so shop around.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Fees vary by hospital and area of the country

You state you lost a lot of weight. Our experience with massive weight loss patients is that the surgery takes longer and the risk of bleeding and other complications is higher than for a patient who is not a weight loss patient. Fees reflect complexity of the surgery and length of surgery. They also reflect the fact that you are more likely to have complications after surgery such as wound infection, wound separation, etc. Your surgeon will need to deal with those complications and the fee reflects that. It always helps to get a second opinion, but cheaper is not necessarily better.