I'm 25 Years Old So Why Do I Keep Getting Acne? (photo)

I have an oily skin. I regularly use oil-free cleansers and make up. One year ago a doctor prescribed me a 3 boxes of "zithromax" "obagi gel cleanser #1" and the PDL laser and I've experienced a good results. Now acne started to come back again and all my hormones all well balanced. Two dermatologists adviced me to take "accutane" however i dont feel my skin is that bad for me to take it... What shall I do?

Never too old for acne

Acne can be totally cleared at one point in your life and then return again so don't feel this is something you did that caused it to return.  Good skin care with exfoliating washes, the appropriate topical medications as well as considering a short course of systemic antibiotics would be the appropriate first step.   Treatment with PDL or BBL is very beneficial, but most insurance companies don't cover it.  If there tends to be a stress related or period related breakout, ask your doctor about blocking that bit of hormone surge with spironolactone which can be taken around your periods.  I can't see your entire face but would certainly consider Accutane if you did not respond to the above steps.  The important thing is to get started with a program and work with your doctor to get your skin back under control.

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne occurs at any age

Acne is absolutely not just for teenagers. Nor is it always related to hormone imbalances. If you have tried multiple avenues and still have acne, Accutane might not be a bad idea. It's really the only true "cure" for acne.

Acne

I never like to rush to Accutane, that should be the last resort.
Using the wrong skincare products for your skin causes many cases of acne. If a product is not listed as oil-free or non-comedogenic (which is different from oil-free and means non-pore-clogging), it may be triggering your breakouts. Stop using it, switch to an oil-free, non-comedogenic product and see if your skin clears up.
Acne is, very simply, a clogged pore (or hair follicle) that can appear anywhere on the skin: the face, the back, the shoulders, the chest, and even the arms or legs. Pores can get clogged with a mix of dead skin cells and sebum (the oily substance produced by the oil glands that helps keep our skin from drying out).
While typically these dead skin cells rise to the surface of the skin to become sloughed off, in the case of a pimple, the dead skin cells stick together and become trapped in the pore. Sweat and dirt can also become part of the mix. When bacteria, which normally live on the skin, enter the pore, the result is an infected red, swollen, inflamed pimple or cyst.
Sometimes these oil glands can go into overdrive, producing excess amounts of oily sebum. (The rate of sebum production is controlled by hormones.) This is common during the teenage years or during times of hormonal fluctuations (e.g. during menstruation, pregnancy, and even menopause). Oily skin is considered a skin type. Acne has also been known to run in families and can sometimes occur in dryer skin types. I work with each individual patient to customize a treatment plan that targets his/her acne.

Dennis Gross, MD

Why do I keep getting Acne at 25 years old?

Acne is a skin disease that has genetic and hormonal causes, so we actually see acne at all the various stages in one’s life. Being in your 20s is not that unusual to have acne, even if you have had it before and it actually seemed to all go away. There is no cure for acne, although in many instances, Accutane may be that wonder drug for those with severe acne.

I would strongly recommend going to a board-certified dermatologist who can work with you to find the most appropriate adult acne medication program. We know from several recent clinical trials that certain medications may work better in young adult females, andthis would be explained during your consultation. A good medicine program, perhaps combined with a laser or light source, should help you combat your problem and get your skin back where you want it to be.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Adults also get acne

Adult acne, especially adult female acne, is a very common condition.  Acne in adults is generally less severe than what teens get but tends to be chronic lasting into the 40s.  Acne has a variety of causes including genetic, hormonal problems, and there is some evidence that stress, and a high sugar diet may make it worse.  Accutane is the only medicine that potentially cures acne in some people.  It may be the best choice if other things don't work.

Dina D. Strachan, MD