Ethnic Skin Care Tips

Lots of skin care information is for white tone only. What are tips for having great skin if a person has a darker skin tone?

Give ethnic skin TLC

Give darker skin some TLC by using these skin-friendly tips:

• Sunscreen is still necessary for ethnic skin and is a must to maintain a more even skin tone.
  • Many people with darker skin are also on medications for high blood pressure, diabetes, etc., which make their skin more sun-sensitive.
  • People with brown skin age very gracefully but will develop dark marks from any type of irritation, so be kind and gentle to dark skin.
  • Cocoa butter should not be used on your face after you are 15. It is too greasy and may cause acne. It can be a great moisturizer for dry winter skin on the body but is too occlusive for the face.

Durham Dermatologist

Leading Asian Skin Expert Responds to questions about Laser Treatment

In my view, treating Asian skin can be the most challenging. Remember, when treating skin of color, it's based not only on the color it appears to be, but also the propensity to tan. Asian skin can be very light, but due to the ease of tanning, it presents challenges to laser and IPL. The risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is very high with my Asian patients. Usually pretreating with a lightening agent, treating with conservative settings, and mandatory sun avoidance for two weeks helps reduce this risk. Likewise, if it happens, seeing a physician who knows how to treat it correctly makes all the difference in the world.

William Kwan, MD, FAAD
San Francisco Dermatologist