Orthodontia reversed from MMA surgery?

I am 62 and awaiting insurance approval for MMA surgery to treat severe sleep apnea. I had orthodontia twice to treat crowing of my lower teeth due to a smallish lower jaw. Is it possible that the MMA will undo my previous orthodontia. Is there a possibility that during the MMA surgery esthetic changes to the face can require additional procedures ie cheek bone implants to achieve good facial esthetics?

Coordination of care is important

Yes and no.  Teeth will not be crooked, but the relationship of the upper jaw and lower jaw will need to be managed.  Often, orthodontia is done simultaneously to help maintain a bite, but there will be some changes in facial appearance (usually for the BETTER).

Jaw

usually I would have the patient go through braces again and undo what has been done by previous orthodontist.  This way I get a good overbite and can bring the lower jaw more forward which is important in correction of bite, profile and sleep apnea. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon