Best Treatment for Indented Surgical Scar? (photo)

Im 24 and have had an indented scar on my forehead since I was about 3. I fell and hit my head on stairs and had to get stitches. The indentation bothers me and I would like to 'fill' it in. What would the best treatment be? Thanks!

Doctor Answers 6


vertical scars of the forehead can be difficult to treat because they run against the natural tension lines of the forehead. depending on what was originally performed you will benefit from a revision with tissue rearrangement

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Fat transfer

I would see a plastic surgeon to see fat transfer would work. Other options are lasaer resufacing or fillers.

Vicki J. Levine, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Forehead scar revision surgery in Los Angeles

Indented forehead scars are difficult to treat, but may benefit from a combination of scar revision surgery coupled with resurfacing laser.  Scar treatment can make scars look better, but not completely disappear. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Treatment for indented scars

I would recommend you see a board certified dermatologist with expertise in lasers. There are a few ways to treat this type of scar which include using lasers to remodel the scar tissue and fillers to help plump the skin back up. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Improve forehead scar1

Thank you for your question about your forehead scar.

  1. The scar is indented because your injury crushed the forhead tissue.
  2. Surgical scar revision is the first step - the scar is cut out and then skin is closed with Z or W plasties to hide the scar in natural forehead lines.
  3. After scar revision,peels, lasers or dermabrasion may improve the  result even more. Care is needed to avoid discoloring the forehead skin.

Best wishes!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Forehead Scar

Indented scars can be improved.  Sometimes they need to be revised surgically followed by careful aftercare treatments.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.