What Can I Do About the Scars on my Face? (photo)

I have scars for various reasons on my face. From chicken pox as a child, scratches and even a dent from falling as a child, and most recently acne scars. The acne is really on the sides of my cheeks and chin. But, childhood scars are everywhere forehead, cheeks, nose, chin and even my neck. What would be an effective professional treatment to completely correct the damage caused to my skin? Is there more than one treatment? I don't want to do anything at home, I only want to see a professional?

Doctor Answers 2

Scars on face

You should consult a cosmetic dermatologist who can offer you various treatments that may help your scarring.  A combination of laser treatments, chemical peels, as well as tretinoin cream may be appropriate.

Toronto Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Scars on my face and what you can do

CO2 laser resurfacing is one of the main ways to improve general Acne scarring. This technique takes the top layers of tissue and skin away. In this process some of the scars are reduced and new skin regrows to soften and improve the scars.  Other options are also available; excisions (cutting scars away); subcision (elevating depressed scars); tissue grafting into depressed scars; and sometimes fillers / fat grafting to volumize the tissue under the scars before resurfacing. This prepares the scars to be resurfaced so that greater improvement can be achieved.  As always, it's best to find a board certified plastic surgeon to assist you with your skincare needs.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 84 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.