Other Than a Full Tt, Can Any Other Type of Lipo (smart, Vaser, Tumescent) Help? (photo)

I would rather not get a TT as the costs and recovery is more than I want to do. I've seen some pics on docs websites about liposculpture, vaser, and smartlipo. Can any of these help to tighten/flatten,/smooth my abdomen area. I realize that a TT get a result of super flat look, however, not sold on the idea of recovery time and costs at this point. Also any comments on Tipollar Apollo for skin tightening? I am 47, 115 lbs 4'11" and had 3 children.

Save your money

I would not suggest spending any money, risk, downtime on a liposuction/laser procedure in your case. You have very little fatty tissue that I can see from the one view you show, and fairly limited skin excess as well. I think you would not see much change with those procedures. A TT is more involved, and you might consider that down the road. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

LIpo can help

Liposuction or laser lipo can help with your problem.  A tummy tuck is much more involved.
Nonsurgical options such as Sculpsure or Coolsculpt can also help.
Nonsurgical options have the fastest recovery.

SculpSure

Thank you for your question, momx3. You do not seem very overweight, but do have minimal tummy fat. SculpSure is a great FDA-approved treatment for targeting individuals who have trouble losing that last bit of stubborn fat in the belly and flanks. The treatment melts up to 25% of your unwanted subcutaneous fat in a 25-minute in-office treatment. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is hard to tell from your single photo

you are a great weight for your height. if you just have a bit of extra fat and only a small amount of skin laxity, then Smartlipo may be a very good choice for you. If you have a considerable amount of loose skin, then a TT would be a better choice. 

you really need to be seen live or at least provide a few more photos with more skin showing from the front and side view. it is very hard to assess your skin laxity with the photo you have submitted.

make sure you see a board certified PS

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Other Than a Full Tt, Can Any Other Type of Lipo (smart, Vaser, Tumescent) Help

Dear momx3, Thank you for submitting your question. Based on your photo, you are a good candidate for an Tummy tuck. The tummy tuck result will tighten your skin and the results will last a long time unless you have fluctuations in weight or have child. There is no other type non surgical way to tighten your skin. I encourage you to make an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to further discuss

Can smart lipo help?

After three children, I would think there is more loose skin than I can see in the photo. Smart liposuction will help with the fat and some mild skin tightening, but what I see more often is patients wishing they would have done at least the mini tuck and smart liposuction because there is no short cut to getting the results you are looking for. This would best be answered by a board certified plastic surgeon that does both smart liposuction and tummy tucks as they are the best doctors to explain the best options for you.

W. John Bull, MD

Looking for something other than TT

• looking at your picture I see skin laxity and no excessive fat
  • there is not a non invasive procedure than will get you the results you are looking for
  • schedule a tummy tuck or nothing at all
  • dont waste you time and money on anything else

David J. Goodkind, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Partial treatment partial results

My mantra is to make the right diagnosis and then do the right operation.

Based on the photo and info given, you have had three children, you exercise and are not overweight.  

Many women after pregnancies have three different issues with their abdomen. 
  1. Loose skin and stretch marks.
  2. Some change in fat distribution.
  3. Muscle separation (aka diastasis rectii = Latin for separation of the rectus (six-pack) muscles).
Liposuction, regardless of brand or type, will only remove fat. The laser may help, but laser lipo is a fat removal procedure, not a skin-tightening procedure. I have yet to see an impressive technique for tightening skin other than skin removal.

To me, you look better than most patients. You appear to have a little bit of all three of the above concerns. As such, if you treat one out of three, you will get a partial improvement.

Tummy tucks aren't for everyone. It's a big procedure with a tough recovery that can leave a significant scar.

Find an honest plastic surgeon who can perform BOTH procedures well. He or she can help you make the best decision.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Smartlipo vs. Tummy Tuck

It's difficult to tell from the photo if liposuction of any type will correct the problem that bothers you. If you have good thick skin elasticity in the area and the area is just fat then SmartLipo should definitely address the problem. If there are stretch marks and loose skin, or separation of the underlying muscles that are causing the problem, SmartLipo or any other form of liposuction are unlikely to help. See a board certified plastic with an expertise in body contouring in your area for a detailed consultation. They should be able to answer your concerns more specifically. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo Versus Tummy Tuck

You have some stretch marks and loose skin.  In your case, a tummy tuck will give you the best results.  SmartLipo is a reasonable second alternative as long as you understand that you will still have those stretch marks and some loose skin.  SmartLipo does add skin tightening that regular liposuction does not but it will not be enough to tighten it as well as a tummy tuck can do.