Would a Surgery Help my Puffy Nipples?

I'm a 26 year-old man who wants to get rid of the swelling under his nipples. they are glandular and minimal with no pain unless i press them. yet i hate them. They devellped during my puberty and never got away. at that time a doctor tried TAMOXIPHENs on me but it didn't work. help me please.

Doctor Answers 6

Surgery for puffy nipples...

It is not uncommon for a male to develop swelling in their areolas during puberty.  Some patients may also have enlarged breast tissue.   A simple procedure of liposuctioning the excess fat and removing the glandual tissue from the areolas can leave you with a much flatter appearance.  I would contact a board certified plastic surgeon to see if  you are a candidate for this procedure. 

Edison Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 83 reviews

Gynecomastia Surgery and Areola Reduction

Thank you for the question.

Gynecomastia comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males.  The diagnosis can be made by physical examination where relatively firm tissue  (breast gland tissue) can be differentiated from relatively soft tissue (adipose tissue).

Breast prominence due to excessive adipose tissue is called pseudo-gynecomastia or lipomastia.  The differentiation of true  gynecomastia  from adipose tissue is important because the surgical treatment may differ. Usually  physical examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is sufficient to make the diagnosis  and to determine the best course of treatment.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. You will find that this recommendation will be more important than any specific “miracle technology” that you will undoubtedly hear about.

I hope this helps.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,486 reviews

Yes surgery will help

Your condition can be helped with surgery.  If the tissue is very glandular then you would need direct excision (using a small incision around the nipple), and if the tissue is soft maybe liposuction alone can give you the desired result.  Consult with a plastic surgeon.

Andre Aboolian, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 60 reviews


This is a type of gynaecomastia (male breast overgrowth). The nipples are puffy because of presence of gland tissue under the areola. This can be easily improved on by removing the excess tissue through a small incision at the margin of the areola. Please see a Plastic Surgeon.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 32 reviews


Surgical excision of the excess breast tissue is the best answer. This can usually be done through a very inconspicuous scar along the border of the lower areola.  The excess breast gland (Gynecomastia) as well as any excess fat can be removed leaving a more natural shape.  

Daniel P. Markmann, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 113 reviews

Puffy Nipples and Gynecomastia Reduction

Dear Herotat  in Iran:

Puffy nipples are a common problem for many men, and frequently they arrive with puberty. Gynecomastia reduction surgery can help. A video and more information is available on my web site (after clicking "see video" click the grey link below).

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.