I have sebaceous hyperplasia on my face. Is a treatment with acid a good option?

My dermatologist is going to treat them with an acid at a cost of $500.00. Do you think this is a good option? Thank You. Deborah

Doctor Answers 1

Sebaceous Hyperplasia Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sebaceous hyperplasia is basically dilated or enlarged oil glands.  They are deep under the skin, typically that requires a treatment that penetrates deeply into the skin.  I have never found that acid works well for this and often leaves scars or the glands recur.  Electric needle or fractionated laser (resurfacing or non-ablative Fraxel) are usually the best.  Sometimes if you have many, isotretinoin can clear these completely without recurrence.  I would suggest getting another opinion from a cosmetic dermatologist with experience treating this condition.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.