What treatments would you recommend for my acne scars? (Photo)

I am looking for improvement in the smoothness of my skin and to improve /removed indented scars. My skin is in very bad condition after years of various different acne treatments, enlarged pores and obvious acne scarring. I am still taking medication for acne at the age of 32! I don't get as many breakouts now but I am left with awful scarring.

Doctor Answers 4

Acne and Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would definitely first get your acne under control.  It is possible that is hormonal and could potentially have a different treatment.  Then you can have Fraxel or eMatrix laser to reduce the scars.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Acne scarring treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Before pursuing acne scar treatments, I would recommend making sure your acne is under good control to ensure that  you are not getting additional scars.  Also some of the scar treatments can cause acne flares, especially if you have active acne scars.  As far as the scar treatments, there are a number of treatments that can help to improve the appearance of the scars, such as TCA CROSS, chemical peels, microneedling, laser treatments and PRP.  You would likely benefit from a combination of fractional laser treatments and PRP; however without an in-person exam it is difficult to make the best recommendation for you.

Sejal Shah, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Best options for acne scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would recommend a combination of E Matrix RF, fractional Clear and Brilliant laser, Fraxel, light chemical peels, and micropen. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Active acne and scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In my opinion, you should see a dermatologist who can help you with your skin. I think it's important to get your acne under control. Once your acne is under control, you need to treat your acne scarring based upon the type of scars that you have. Based upon the tangential light photograph that you submitted, I think you may have  acne pits, superficial scars and a few box cars. It's difficult for me to determine if you have any raised papules or if these are acne lesions. The treatment for your type of scars include TCA cross, chemical peeling, Micro needle radio frequency (infini), Micro Needling, ablative and non-ablative lasers.
Find a dermatologist with experience in acne scarring. Ask to see photos of patients with similar type of scars. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.