I read a 10 lb weight gain after smart lipo can cause lumps and they are nearly impossible to lose. Is it true?

I am 52, 5, 7" have weighed approx. 110 pounds for at least 20 years. I have a very clean and consistent diet and work out daily with heavy strength training mixed in, The smart lipo was to get rid of stubborn small pockets of fat and am concerned if for any reason I do gain 10 pounds, will have lumpy knees and outer thighs.

Lumps after weight gain after lipo

• if your are  a good candidate and smart lipo done well you will not see lumps
  • true  that if you are left with irregularities, they will be more noticable with weight gain
  • therefore weight gain does not cause lumps
  • any dissproportion or assymetry is more noticable the bigger you are

New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo ?

Congratulations first for keeping your weight and being in such good shape.
There are several different questions: Liposuction? Smart Liposuction? Recurrence of fat ? Weight gain?
Principally any form of liposuction is done with the understanding that the patient does not gain excessive weight afterwards. This, because weight gain  can show up as "lumpy" pockets in the suctioned areas or elsewhere as fat pockets (abdomen, breasts etc. ).
Which method of liposuction is used is  not so important. Smart lipo and conventional liposuction do not act differently on the "recurrence" of fat pockets. Smart Lipo is just "another method" of liposuction on the long run.
The decision for you therefore is if you want to get rid of the extra fat pockets with liposuction (any proven method) and than keep a lifestyle which assures the result to be with you on the long run.
Keep up the good work.

Guido P. Gutter, MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo and possible lumpiness with a future weight gain?

In my experience, Smart Lipo is perhaps the most even method of liposculpting as the initial laser application requires hundreds of passes with cross hatching from at least two directions to initially melt the fat - followed by tiny-cannula standard liposuction to suck out the melted fat. The final step, directs the laser up into the dermis of the skin from underneath to tighten the skin - and this also requires hundreds of passes to deliver all the energy necessary.  So, by design, Smart Lipo yields an extremely even fat reduction.

Weight gain after liposuction

Thanks for your question. I would generally disagree with that concept. If it were to occur, that would not be specific to Smartlipo (or any laser-assisted liposuction), but would apply to any fat removal tool (standard liposuction, Coolsculpt, etc.). Yes, you can gain weight after any procedure based on diet/activity levels. The excess weight is stored in the fat cells throughout the body, including those that were NOT removed at the site of lipousction. However, it tends to be uniform and smooth, and not common to have major lumpy contour issues. I hope that helps your decision process.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure

Thank you for your question, sspotten. An experienced and board certified surgeon will perform the procedure so that it is unlikely you have potential for these lumps. SculpSure is a great treatment for targeting these lumps and other superficial indications of unwanted subcutaneous stubborn fat. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are not likely to get lumpiness after Smartlipo and weight gain

Smartlipo does a very good job at melting fat and then it is liposuctioned away. You do not want to gain weight, if you can help it. After Smartlipo, there are still fat cells left behind. if you put on a significant amount of weight after your surgery, those fat cells may swell and minimize the improvement from your Smartlipo. However, there is no reason that the fat would come in any lumpier as a result of smartlipo. 

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

No lumps with Smart Lipo

I have not seen lumps with weight gain after SmartLipo.  The SmartLipo melts fat before it is removed so a smoother contour is obtained.  It also tightens skin with the heat generated.  Ideally, a patient should be at a stable weigh prior to having the procedure done so that the best long-term results are attainable.  With weight gain after liposuction, typically patients see more larger fat depostis in  untreated areas.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

New fat distribution after lipo

Liposuction causes a permanent change in fat distribution. If liposuction was done evenly, then you will have a new, but even, fat distribution. Should you gain weight after liposuction, you will gain weight wherever you still have fat cells.

Any area treated with liposuction will have a proportionately smaller number of fat cells, so there will be less of a change in those areas with either weight loss or weight gain. There is simply less fat in those areas to change with weight change. Even or uneven, it does not matter.  

Hopefully liposuction is done evenly, though there are certainly cases of poor outcomes with this procedure. One reason can be that fat was removed unevenly, giving poor results.  

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Weight gain after liposuciton

Since you have maintained your weight for 20 years, I am not sure why you are worried about weight gain if you have liposuction.  If the liposuction result is smooth, then gaining weight should not lead to lumps.  

Below is a link to information on Smarlipo. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain following liposuction

A 10 pound weight gain following smart lipo will lead to distribution of the excess fat to many areas. No reason to have lumps after the weight gain if you do not have them now. 

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS