How to get rid of hormonal acne? Acne scars? Pigmentation? Also getting lots of bump/pimples colorless on forehead?

Ive been having acne for years after i got off of birth control. My acne scars are getting worst. I have pigmentation. I never pop or pick my pimples. My skin type is kind of dehydraded and dry. I use to have combination sky. Maybe on good days. I drink lots of water. I have a lot of pores and acne that looks like bumps on my forehead and some on cheek. They are colorless. what could i use or what can these be?

Doctor Answers 4

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

I suggest seeing an expert this can be improved with a combination of skin care, lasers, microneedling/PRP.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Acne scars

Acne scars are treated differently depending on their appearance and structure. Sometimes there is no actual scar at all, but just a dark spot from inflammation. These spots usually improve on their own if you protect them and keep them out of the sun. In the meantime, to control the inflammation and acne breakouts, topical retin-a cream with intermittent salicylic acid peels can dramatically improve your skin tone and frequency of breakouts. Once the acne is controlled and you continue to do have remaining scars due to permanent dermal injury from acne, a variety of treatments can be performed to remodel the scar from energy-based lasers and radiofrequency devices to mechanical disruption of the scar with microneedling. Deep wide scars can be released and filled in with subcision and fillers and ice-pick (thin, deep) scars are best treated by excising them completely. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps! Johnson C. Lee MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Hormonal Acne

I often prescribe an oral medicine called spironolactone to my female patients.  This can be very helpful for hormonal acne.  I would suggest that you make an appointment with an experienced dermatologist to discuss whether spironolactone or some other therapy would be appropriate for you.Regards,Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Multifaceted approach to acne treatment

There are several options to manage acne, all of which can be implemented by a board-certified dermatologist. Depending on the severity of your acne, a dermatologist might recommend one or a combination of treatments, including topical medications and/or oral medications. Since your acne worsened after stopping birth control, resuming a certain type of birth control pills may be a good option assuming you are medically cleared to take them. It sounds like a topical retinoid may be particularly useful for you (a vitamin A-derived class of medication). All acne treatments require several months of faithful use before effects can be determined.To manage the hyperpigmentation (dark spots left behind from acne), you may benefit from carefully selected topical lightening agents (such as hydroquinone, azelaic acid, kojic acid, etc.) with or without chemical peels. Chemical peels, especially salicylic acid, can be especially useful in the treatment of acne. An overall skin care regimen is essential for all acne treatments, and it would be important for you to find a moisturizer that you can wear every day (ideally with SPF!) that helps preserve your facial skin barrier and overall hydration. Once acne is under excellent control (no or rare new bumps appearing), the scarring can be addressed with the help of surgery, laser, microneedling, and/or chemical peels to assist in resurfacing areas of scarring. It is important to realize that no treatment is 100% effective at erasing acne scarring, so it is crucial to get acne under control so no further scarring occurs.

Elizabeth Damstetter, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.