Acne scars on forehead. What type of treatment would help me? (Photo)

I have ance scarring to me it's the worst on my forehead. I'm really depressed about it. I'm having a hard time finding someone in Michigan who is experienced. What type of treatment would help me scars?

Lasers and Ematrix RF as part of our Hidef Acne Scar Protocol

You are a good candidate for our Hidef Acne Scar Protocol which includes Ematrix RF, fractional lasers, subcision, and fillers. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Forehead acne scars

This type of ice pick scar on the forehead would do very well with biopsy punch excision, with closure of the hole with a 6-0 nylon suture that is removed in 5 days. You must be patient afterwards and use a silicone sheet material found at your local pharmacy. It takes several months for healing.   The hole must be closed horizontally in line with the wrinkles of your forehead.Do not waste your money on any type of peeling/laser.There must be a plastic surgeon in michigan who will help you.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

A combination approach is needed to get the best outcome. I suggest you see an expert who can get you on a short and long term plan including lasers, fillers, subcision, and skin care. Please consult with a board certified dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Acne Scars

First there are different types of acne scars that respond to treatments differently. Ice pick scarring is the least responsive to lasers and/or chemical peels. These sometimes need to be surgically removed. Rolling and box car type scarring is more responsive to laser. The common types of lasers used are ones that stimulate collagen such as fractionated CO2 or Erbium. Additional treatments include chemical peeling and/or subcision (a needle inserted beneath the scar to break up collagen). Your scars appear to be more of the rolling and box car type, but this is difficult to fully evaluate on a picture. Sometimes the treatments mentioned are used in combination to optimize results. Typically an improvement of 50-70% is a realistic expectation.

Christopher Weyer, DO
Tucson Dermatologist

Acne Scars

For acne scarrig, the Fraxel laser is  the gold standard for treatment. With the Fraxel®, acne scars are improved over a series of 4 or 5 sessions. The Fraxel® laser utilizes Fractional Resurfacing Technology in which only a portion of the skin actually receives the laser light. With this technology, the laser delivers a series of closely spaced microscopic laser spots to the skin while simultaneously preserving normal healthy skin between the laser spots.

Acne scar options

The "gold standard" for acne scarring would be filling with Bellafill, or an aggressive laser treatment such as fractional CO2 or Fraxel. CO2 and Fraxel lasers can give significant down time and are painful. Acne scars are tough to treat because they extend in to deep layers of skin, so the best results will come from more aggressive (i.e. more painful and expensive) modalities. Less painful and less expensive options than CO2 or Fraxel would be eMatrix or microneedling with growth factor. These treatments work well, but it takes a series of treatments to see results. There is no permanent cure for acne scars, so you will have to have repeat treatments occasionally: anywhere from 1-4 years after initial treatment depending on which initial option you choose.

Jenny Weyler, MD
Worcester Physician