Dermatological or Surgical Correction of Dent on Nose?

I poked a pimple with a needle, causing the blood vessel directly under to become dilated. A dermatologist biopsied part of the skin, and shaved off the dilated part of the vessel. A dent developed where the blood vessel had been removed.

After 5 months, I decided to go back to see if it was healing okay. He told me lasers could get rid of the redness. Six months later, I still have a noticeable dent on my nose. What dermatological / surgical options do I have to correct, eliminate or lessen the noticeability of the indentation?

Doctor Answers 4

Skin depression following biopsy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any technique using fillers would likely be temporary other than your own body fat. Being precise with fat is often difficult due to the inability to predict fat survival. I generally prefer an excision (surgery) but the trade-off is a linear surgical scar (which possibly can be covered with make-up) or having the depression.

Biopsy "dent"

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A depresion from a biopsy is not uncommon when a shave is performed.  If it was benign, which I presume it was, a filler product of even fat may be able to be placed in the subuctaneous plane to help augment the depression.

Post Biopsy "dents"

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Depending on the size and the location of the "dent" in the nose, a surgical approach or fillers would be acceptable. Remember that fillers are temporary and, if possible, a more permanent improvement would be a surgical approach. You will still have a scar but with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist experienced in cosmetic surgery, this shoud be minimally noticed.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

Surgical repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 It sounds to me like you have a divot from the biopsy, especially if a shave biopsy technique was utilized. This usually responds best to a  simple surgical repair. Sure the area might be treated with fillers, but for a permanent solution I would recommend the surgical approach.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.