Acne before and during menstruation. What extra skincare can be done?

Is it normal to breakouts before & during menses? What extra skincare should be done to minimize breakouts during this period? I am on adapalene and so far i am getting good results. My skincare includes cetaphil face wash, a moisturizer, and a sunblock. I also have a bleaching cream for post acne marks. It is so annoying to get some zits, some are cystic (1 or 2) during menses and before menses. I sometimes go to my derma for kanolone injections especialy if its really painful, red, & swollen.

Spironolactone for Hormonal Acne (Acne during Menses/Period)

The key to treating hormonal acne is Spironolactone.  Period.   Uber effective, safe, addresses the problem at the root, inexpensive...  The other things can help, but until the underlying hormonal element is addressed, you will likely be underwhelmed with the results.  Good luck.  Dr. Myers

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne with Menses

Acne with menses may be associated with a hormonal problem or treatment.  I would suggest a formal consultation with a board certified dermatologist for possible treatment with an oral contraceptive or Spironolactone.  Best, Dr. Green

Acne with menses

It appears you are doing all the correct measures. Be careful with the steroid injections. I've seen atrophy with these and this is hard to fix. Consider chemical peels and laser for the acne as well.

Steven F. Weiner, MD