Can the appearance of surgical scars be minimized with skin resurfacing? (Photo)

Can the appearance of surgical scars be minimized with skin resurfacing? I went to a doctor who put too much tension on my original scar. Now the area is painful and extremely scarred. I am very depressed.

Facelift surgical scars

At this point, I would suggest a combination of Plato's Scar Serum and Melarase creams to help your scars. Lasers may also help in the future. 
Best, Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Surgical scar improvement

Yes there are a few options to improve the appearance of your scars. What I find to be the safest and best method is with laser resurfacing, invented by dermatologists. A series of treatments can make the scars less noticeable. I would recommend seeing a dermatologist with expertise and advanced training in lasers. Surgical scar revision is another option but often times comes with the same risks and may heal the same or worse than in the original surgery. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar revision

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a scar revision. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD