What can I use to get rid of acne scarring, large pores, & black heads on the nose? I've tried Retin-A and nothing works.(photo)

I use to have acne on my cheeks as a pre teen and all through teenage years. From picking at them, all I'm left is major scarring on both of my cheeks with large pores and have blackheads on my nose. I break out here and there but what makes my face worse is the redness from the acne scars and I'm embarrassed that I wear makeup to feel Confident ( I'm now 18 years old)

Doctor Answers 3

Acne Scarring, Large Pores and Blackheads Treatment

Since you have already tried prescription drugs such as Retin-A, a laser treatment may be your next possible option. Acne scarring in adult skin can be treated with the Fraxel laser. The Fraxel Dual renders the formation of new collagen tissue to greatly improve the skin’s texture. Acne scars, pores and blackheads will be far less visible after the Fraxel treatment. Read more about acne scar treatment below.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

if you have active acne you need it cleared and this can be done with isotreitnoin, spironolactone (females) and other cosmetic treatments like fraxel/viva/clear + brilliant/microneedling and peels.  I suggest going to an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Acne, Blackheads, and Scars

Before you can treat the scars you have to treat the acne.  With active acne lesions you need to treat it first so that you don't keep producing new scars.  You may need a course of Accutane to stop the acne from forming.  Then you can treat these scars with eMatrix or Fraxel lasers.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.