Can I ever have acne scar-free skin? (Photo)

I am 25 years old and i have been suffering from acne for the past 8 years. I took accutane for 14 months but i do get some breakouts occasionally. I also got treated for my acne scars but i didnt see any promising results, i underwent one sitting of dermarolling and my dermatologist asked me to use the roller at home on a regular basis.i asked him if i could get a laser treatment done but he advised against it saying my skin is too young. I need a permanent treatment for my scarring that works.

Acne scar reduction is a reality at any age

Treatments for acne scars have improved dramatically in the last few years.  All of these treatments lead to improvement if done properly and based on your skin response.  The most effective treatments include a combination of treatments if your acne scars of more severe as they appear to be. 
I would recommend a series of fractionated laser treatments over time that will gradually rebuild the collagen in your skin and help smooth out your scars.  Rollering will typically give a milder response.  Newer technologies like RF are showing promise like fractionated lasers.  And finally traditional treatments like subcision and fillers work to help the worst of scars get the last bit of improvement.
Your age is a benefit as you should have a higher collagen remodeling ratio.  Darker skin tones are definitely harder to treat and experience higher incidences of hyperpigmentation that is treatable and manageable, but results can be dramatic with 50-70% improvement in experienced hands.
You will never remove all signs of the scars but through a few treatments you can make your skin improve dramatically and with relative permanence.

Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Acne scars

You may want to look into a new concept in collage remodeling and acne scar repair, PicoSure Focus. Another choice would be a series of three to four treatments with INFINI, intense focused RF, at my practice Key Laser, I would combine INFINI treatments with the use of your own platelet rich plasma both applied and injected into your scars at the same time as your INFINI treatments.
But you need to know and remember treating acne scarring is a path to making scars better, sometimes a lot better, but not all gone.

Good Luck.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

You can have scar REDUCTION

I think aiming for a 50-70% reduction over 12 months is realistic. 100% scar free is not. Unfortunately this is the truth. Your scar type is once of the hardest to treat, compounded with your skin type. You have saucer scars together with atrophic scars. Possibly even tethered scarring. 

In your case I would probably elect to use INFINI RF over Fractional CO2 laser. Plan is -

1. 3-4 Infini RF treatments over 4-5 months. 
2. Re-evaluate. If shallow enough scars, erbium fully ablative. Will have skin colour changes that may last a few months. 
3. Re-evaluate, will need focal dermal fillers for atrophic areas, +/- Subcision for the tethered or anchored scars. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne Scars and Treatment

Now that your acne is under control after Accutane, you can pursue getting the scars treated with eMatrix. It will take at least 5 treatments of the eMatrix laser to reduce these types of scars which are the most difficult to treat.  Best, Dr. Green