Acne scars all over back and butt. I'm looking for something that will not make my problem worse

I started getting body acne when I was around 14 and they spread all over my back and started going down to my butt. They went away and now i have a lot of dark spot. Im finally 18 and want to do something to completly remove them. I still get a pimple here and there though. Ive done chemical peels but i feel like they weren't doing enough. I didn't see much of a change with that. Im looking for something that will not make my problem worse I'm already really insecure about them.

Treatments for acne scars

There are many treatments available for the marks left after acne.  The treatment depends on the nature of the marks and often a combination is required.  For dark marks, I generally recommend a combination of lightening agents and chemical peels, followed by a series of fractional laser treatments.
I recommend seeing a board-certified dermatologist for a consultation to evaluate your scars and discuss apprropriate treatments.

Acne scars on buttocks

In my opinion, it's important to determine the type of acne scars that you have on your buttocks. If they are red, a pulsed dye laser is helpful. If they are depressed, subcision combined with laser or microneedling radio-frequency  ( infini) is often effective . As you described pigmented lesions, combining a laser with a pretreatment and post treatment of bleaching cream is often successful. Look for a doctor who has experience in treating acne scars. Ask to see before and after photos of patients that have some scars similar  to yours. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars and Fraxel, eMatrix, V-Beam, Chemical Peels

The marks from acne can be treated but it depends on the nature of the mark.  If it is red, brown, indented and if there is a hormonal component.  Chemical peels work but you may need bleaching creams or retinoids to complement the therapy.  eMatrix works very well at the scars as does Fraxel and V-Beam.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in acne and scars.  Best, Dr. Green