Acne Scarring Treatment Options? (photos)

Hello Guys, long story short : I had really bad acne when I was a teen and now I'm 21 and left with very unsightly acne scars. Im currently stuck in a place where I'm debating whether I should just love myself and accept this as a part of who I am or seek out treatment for it.Sigh it just makes me so sad because I feel so ugly at times because of it. im currently considering dermapen tca cross I have never undergone treatment for scarring so far

Options for acne scars

I would use a combination of E Matrix fractional RF, sublation, Clear and Brilliant laser, fillers, subcision, and fractional co2 to smooth out your acne scars. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Acne Scars – Combination of Treatments Needed

The best treatment for acne scars depends upon an individual’s skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, overall health and most importantly, the type of acne scars present (ice pick scars, boxcar scars, rolling scars, hypertrophic scars and variable degrees of hyperpigmentation). In order to give you an accurate treatment plan, a consultation is required to properly assess your skin.

An important step for all skin types is sun protection including the use of daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses, all of which help prevent aging and sunburns. 

When it comes to acne scar treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (medical grade skin care products specific for acne including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), advanced laser resurfacing procedures (CO2 laser, Er:YAG laser, Fraxel DUAL®, PicoSure® FOCUS Lens Array), chemical peels (light, medium, deep including the blue peel), dermabrasion, augmentation/fillers, excision and/or subcision, punch techniques, microneedling/rolling, injections (corticosteroids, 5-FU), cryosurgery, electrodesiccation and microdermabrasion. 

These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Acne Scars | Treatment Options

There are many treatment options available for acne scarring.  A multi-treatment approach would benefit you the best.  Some options that would be helpful are the following:

• Profractional laser treatment
  • Micropen treatment
  • Subcision
  • Bellafill
To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment for your acne scarring.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Acne Scars and Dark Skin and eMatrix

I sympathize with your situation.  It appears as if your scars are significant and may take a combination of treatments and multiple sessions. My best recommendation would be to have the eMatrix laser.  It is the most effective laser for these type of acne scars.  Best, Dr. Green

Dark skin and acne

In my opinion, you have many different types of scars. I see several ice picks, pitted scars as well as superficial box cars. Some of the pits that you have are quite deep. Acne scars are usually treated based upon scar type. For your pitted scars, I would recommend TCA cross, micro needle radio frequency or micro needing. Sometimes I combine and ablative or non-ablative laser. I think it's going to take several treatments. As your skin is fairly dark, I would pretreat with hydroquinone. The microneedle radiofrequency produces less epidermal damage so it is probably the first choice. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon