Should I seek scar treatment from a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a new scar caused by avulsion/laceration? (Photo)

3 weeks ago I experienced a traumatic incident which led to a laceration on my forehead that was sutured with 7, sized 6-0 stitches. The stitches were removed on day 7, and I am now left with an undesirable scar that has uneven elevation at the base. Any insight on possible treatment and with whom to make an appointment is appreciated.

Doctor Answers 3

Fillers and subcision for a forehead scar

Apply Plato's Scar Serum followed by subcision, fillers, and fractional lasers. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Scar on Face -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2, Erbium), Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Fillers, Tattooing

This scar healed very well.  It now needs laser treatments and skin care for blending.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Scar reduction/improvement

Sorry to hear about your accident. Good news is there are indeed options to improve the appearance of your scar. If you are looking for non-invasive approaches to improving the scar, seeing a dermatologist with expertise and advanced training in lasers is recommended. If you are looking for surgical scar revision, then seeing a plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or a surgical dermatologist/Mohs surgeon would be good options. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.