I am a teenager and have been under treatment for my acne for about two years. I have seen two doctors and no results? (Photos)

I have had acne ever since I can remember. It is a combination of blackheads and just red pimples that can't be popped. I have been to a doctor and been prescribed retin-a, tretoin cream, aczone, doxycycline pills, you name it. I would like to avoid going on accutane because of the various risks it poses, but I am tired of not seeing results. I wash my face with a gentle cleanser twice a day and apply my tretoin cream at night. I mostorize and don't touch my face throughout the day. Help!!

Acne scar treatment

It is important to choose board certified dermatologist with experience who will develop your skin regimen and help you to get rid of your acne. You need to find cause to your acne to treat them. If they are hormonal, no topical treatment will permanently remove your acne. I would suggest you to see different doctors, finding the root of the problem and then treating the cause, so your skin is not breaking out any longer. The remaining acne can be treated successfully with isotretinoin, as well as combination of treatments of chemical peels, microdermabrasion, microneedling, laser, etc. Not all of those treat acne or acne scars, but they improve texture and quality of your skin. Good luck! 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Resistant acne

I am sorry to hear about your continued challenges with acne In some patients who have this problem, photodynamic therapy can be a great way to control the acne. Up to three treatments may be required but the results can to be superb. Lasers can also play a role but I would recommend PDT first.  Best of luck!

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Refractory Acne

I use a low-dose protocol of isotretinoin combined with topicals developed by Dr. Obagi.  The low dose (20mg) decreases the side effects and topicals resurface the skin.  I have had very good results with this, and would anticipate the same for you.  

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne/Complexion Treatment -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2, Erbium), Microneedling/PRP, Skin Care

This can be improved with peels and lasers, but isotretinoin treatment is the only way to get rid of this completely and permanently.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Recalcitrant acne responds to lasers

This is a typical scenario that I see in the office. You kind of acne I would treat with lasers. I use several different kinds including Excel V, Spectra QS, as well as Botox in some cases. It takes 6 treatments or more but does give relieve. It requires touch ups every 3-6 months as well. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD