I am a teenager and have been under treatment for my acne for about two years. I have seen two doctors and no results? (Photos)

I have had acne ever since I can remember. It is a combination of blackheads and just red pimples that can't be popped. I have been to a doctor and been prescribed retin-a, tretoin cream, aczone, doxycycline pills, you name it. I would like to avoid going on accutane because of the various risks it poses, but I am tired of not seeing results. I wash my face with a gentle cleanser twice a day and apply my tretoin cream at night. I mostorize and don't touch my face throughout the day. Help!!

Resistant acne

I am sorry to hear about your continued challenges with acne In some patients who have this problem, photodynamic therapy can be a great way to control the acne. Up to three treatments may be required but the results can to be superb. Lasers can also play a role but I would recommend PDT first.  Best of luck!

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Refractory Acne

I use a low-dose protocol of isotretinoin combined with topicals developed by Dr. Obagi.  The low dose (20mg) decreases the side effects and topicals resurface the skin.  I have had very good results with this, and would anticipate the same for you.  

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS

Acne/Complexion Treatment -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2, Erbium), Microneedling/PRP, Skin Care

This can be improved with peels and lasers, but isotretinoin treatment is the only way to get rid of this completely and permanently.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Recalcitrant acne responds to lasers

This is a typical scenario that I see in the office. You kind of acne I would treat with lasers. I use several different kinds including Excel V, Spectra QS, as well as Botox in some cases. It takes 6 treatments or more but does give relieve. It requires touch ups every 3-6 months as well. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD