I Have a Mole with a Red Ring Around It in my Scalp? (photo)

I have this mole that I have had in my scalp for 2 years maybe even more (since I actually first noticed it) and it has always had a red ring around. Now I have become concerned about it. It doesn't itch or irritate me. At first it was more bumpier when I felt it but now I have been putting neosporin on it for a couple of weeks and it has got flatter. I need some advice, is this serious?

Doctor Answers 3

Scalp mole with a red ring

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any time you have a mole that is changing, you should be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. From the photo your mole does not look too suspicious but it is best to have it evaluated in person. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance. I would NOT recommend consulting a board certified plastic surgeon (as recommended below) for a full thickness excision. Plastic surgeons rarely do shave biopsies. You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Changing Mole

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should become concerned about moles when they change.  It does not mean that you have cancer or a problem, but it should be evaluated by a board certified dermatologist.  It may require a biopsy, which is pretty painless.  Definitive treatment would be predicated on what the biopsy demonstrated.

Jay S. Gottlieb, DO
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist

Halo Nevus

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I have seen moles with white ring around them called Halo Nevus. This could be a variant.

See your plastic surgeon for full thickness excision and biobsy

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.