Is there any way to get rid of or minimize the creases around my mouth? (photos)

I've always had these creases around my mouth. Even when I don't smile I still notice them and they become even deeper set when I smile. It makes it really inconvenient when I put makeup on as it tends to settle in those lines. What are these lines? I don't understand why I've had these since a very young age, especially since I've always stayed away from the sun as much as possible and always use spf to prevent premature aging. Is there anyway to erase or minimize these lines/creases? Thank you

Nasolabial Folds

Unfortunately genetics is your answer but fortunately there is help! Lots of options such as filler injections can soften the folds or increasing volume in cheek area to lift up. Consult a facial plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation.

Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasolabial lines

Hello. First of all let me say that you have a lovely smile! The lines you are describing are called nasolabial lines and are part of our natural faces. They are more prominent in some people, but their prominence also increases with age, lifestyle, weight loss or gain and genetics.
The lines can be reduced after a full facial assessment by a number of methods - adding volume to the cheeks/cheek bones to lift away from the crease or filling in the lines themselves to reduce the 'crease'. This can achieve an improved look, but as you say you have had them since you were quite young and its important to give you the result you want, but also to keep you looking like 'you' !
you will definitely find an experienced and excellent aesthetic doctor in your area who can help you achieve the desired results tastefully. Good luck.

Ella Husain, MD
London Physician

Nasolabial Folds - Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

There are a lot of options for improving the nasolabial folds and this often means fillers for the folds themselves but also lifting around the mouth and cheeks to build underlying anatomical support. In our practice we combine sculptra with other fillers "layered" on top to get the most conservative natural look. Please see a facial sculpting expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Filler for Nasolabial Folds

The creases you're referring to are something called, nasolabial folds. Everyone has them however some have deeper creases than others - whether due to their genetic make-up or volume loss that comes with aging. Based on your photos, I believe you would be a great candidate for a dermal filler to fill in an help minimize your creases. Method of injection and product used would be determined during our consultation, as it is key to assess your facial structure as well as better understand your goals so as to create a customized treatment plan for you. Dermal fillers are safe, involve no downtime and last an average of 4-6 months, depending on the person. My best advice would be to find a board-certified dermatologist who is an experienced and skilled injector that will take your goals to heart and create a customized plan that fits your needs. 

Dennis Gross, MD

Smile lines

Thanks for your question. These smile lines we call nasolabial folds. They are more prominent in some than others and are not really related to sun exposure but can get deeper as we get older and lose some of our mid face volume, develop some skin laxity. Most commonly this is improved with a filler injection which may include some filler in the cheek to "lift" the skin up, and some filler into the folds themselves. Many different fillers are used for this and the injection is usually repeated every 8 to 14 months unless you use a longer lasting filler such as Bellafill.
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician