I'm 44. Recently I have been having acne breakouts. What can I do to stop the breakouts?

Adult acne

This is a common problem to start having acne in adulthood. You do not have to suffer with this problem.See a Dermatologist  to help you get it controlled. We have many treatment options from oral antibiotics, topical treatments, Accutane and lasers. We customize the program to your type of acne,desires and budget.

Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne

There are several approaches that can be very helpful for controlling active acne and for preventing acne flare-ups. Topical medications represent the most common type of acne treatment currently utilized. Commonly used topical medications include the following:
  1. Topical antibiotics such as erythromycin, clindamycin, and sodium sulfacetamide to reduce surface bacteria
  2. Benzoyl peroxide to reduce surface bacteria
  3. Retinoids such as Retin-A, Retinol, and Tazorac to unplug the pores, gently exfoliate the skin, reduce inflammation, and increase cellular turnover
  4. Azelaic acid to soothe inflammation and reduce surface bacteria
It is very important that patients follow their topical skin care treatment plan carefully, as the ultimate amount of improvement obtained depends at least in part on how well patients take care of their skin at home.