At what age does teenage acne stop for males (as in grow out of acne)?

I know it is a very difficult question to answer since many people have acne well past their teenage years.But there are people out there who grow out of acne.So if you have to make an estimation,what should be the approximate age at which males grow out of teenage acne. Thanks

When do teenagers grow out of acne?

Thank you for your question naimur27. Acne is a common condition that affects adolescents and adults of all skin types and both genders. The most common age of onset is around puberty and it is more common in boys at this age than girls. For some people the acne clears on its own after a few years and for others it continues. There are also many people with adult onset acne. This starts later in life and can continue for years. So unfortunately there is no good answer to your question of when teenagers grow out of acne.
Acne can be controlled in multiple ways. Topical products such as Retin-A and other retinoids (Differin, Tazorac, retinol), salicylic acid, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, and niacinamide provide benefit to many people. Oral medications such as doxycycline and oral contraceptives help with redness and hormonal acne, respectively. Various treatments such as chemical peels, IPL using acne settings (blue light), infrared lasers, and Micro Laser Peel can help with acne as well. Often times a combination of these works best. Accutane is an oral medication with multiple side effects that is reserved for people who do not respond to other treatments. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Teenage acne

You are right, this is a very difficult question to answer due to different types and causes of acne. By 25, most adolescents and young adults have reached a hormone balance and acne subsides. Yet this is not the case for everyone as adult acne is also a very common skin care issue I see. I would recommend posting pictures and a consultation with a dermatologist to evaluate and determine a long term treatment plan. Best, Dr. Emer