Can I Use Bimatoprost 0.03% Instead of Latisse?

What is the difference between Latisse and Bimatoprost 0.03%. Can I use Bimatoprost 0.03% from Allergan instead of Latisse? (It is much cheaper and costs in India from Allergan around 15 US$). Has Bimatoprost (although I know that Latisse consists Bimatoprost) more side effects? Thanks

Latisse and Lumigan are the same

Latisse and Lumigan are the same medication in different bottles so they will have the same effect. Having said that,if you are in the United States, especially, I caution you from asking your doctor for a prescription for Lumigan, though, if you do not have glaucoma.

If you are trying to get your insurance to pay for your eyelash treatments, this is a bad idea as your insurance records will be flagged as you having glaucoma treatments. It might make it difficult for you to get insurance in the future, as the glaucoma could be considered a pre-existing condition if you are changing health insurance (or applying for life insurance).

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You could, but it may not be the strongest

Though you could use Bimatoprost as an alternative to Latisse, you may want to try Travoprost. Travoprost is a related, but slightly different molecule than Bimatoprost that on animals, was shown to be more effective in growing hair. I have seen tremendous success with Travoprost (Travatan) in our patients.

Jeffrey Ellis, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Bimatoprost is the same as Latisse is the same as Lumigan

Bimatoprost is the same as Latisse is the same as Lumigan. Some physicians have been using Lumigan (Bimatoprost) for hypotrichosis or short eyelashes for several years. 

Physicians first noticed the effects of Bimatoprost using Lumigan, which is also sold by Allergan, for the treatment of glaucoma.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Latisse and Bimatoprost

The glaucoma med and Latisse are the same product, they are just marketed differently.  I do not think that the side effect are any different for either product.

Latisse equal to generic Bimatoprost

It is probably the same product with the same benefits and side effects. It should technically be applied to the upper lid. It can promote hair growth anywhere including the cheek, if it falls there. It can also cause hyperpigmentation (darkening) of the skin, change in the color of the iris, irritation, inflammation, redness, and itching of the eyelid skin.

Bimatoprost vs. Latisse

Bimatoprost and Latisse are basically the same Product. Bimatoprost = Lumigan. Lumigan is a prescription drug for Glaucoma Patience. Where Latisse is a prescription for Cosmetic Patience. Although it may be cheaper it comes with a price. Having a Dr. prescribe Lumigan can flag you as having the disease and may cause problems. Problems that are not necessary. Stick with the proper prescription for the proper necessary use.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumigan is much cheaper

But doesn't include the best applicator. That shouldn't stop individuals motivated to save $. Officially of course patients should only use medications for their intended use.

Benjamin Ticho, MD
Chicago Ophthalmologist

Latisse is Bimatoprost

The active medication in Latisse is bimatoprost 0.03%. As some other physicians have noted, be careful using a medication which does not have the indication you are using it for as it may label you with a certain disease.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Latisse vs Lumigan

The product are the same. That being said, getting it prescribed and paid by your insurance would probably constitute an element of fraud by your provider and yourself. I would be very careful in this situation.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Substitution Not A Good Idea

Although the products are similar, using a medication that is labeled for a specific medical problem will likely flag you as having that disease. For example, Lumigan is used to treat glaucoma and obtaining a prescription will tell your insurance company that you have been diagnosed with glaucoma and this will go in your records. Latisse, is used for a cosmetic problem called hypotrichosis (short hairs) and this diagnosis should not carry any significant implications for your medical records from an insurance standpoint. Lastly, if I were working in an insurance company and found out that a doctor or patient was using medical prescriptions indicated for a specific disease simply to avoid paying out of pocket cosmetic fees I would probably consider this a form of insurance fraud.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist