Are lasers the only way to treat post acne marks that are red (no indents or holes)? Can peels be effective also?

Are the best lasers those that heat below the skin and destroy the vessel? Or can peels or laser resurfacing that remove skin be just as effective?

Red Acne Scars

The V-Beam laser is the best method to treat red acne scars. The V-Beam is still considered the gold standard laser. I also use the IPL for overall redness and pigmentation as well.  Peels are great but do not work on the redness.  Please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in lasers for the best cosmetic results.

Red scar treatment

Typically the best way to treat red acne scars is with pulsed dye laser or intense pulsed light (IPL).  The devices specifically target oxyhemoglobin which is what gives the skin the red color.  In my experience chemical peels do little to help.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

How to treat acne scarring

Treatment options depend on the depth of the scarring and if we are also treating discoloration after the acne. So, lasers/IPL are often used, resurfacing is also used, sometimes peels are used, and even dermal fillers can be injected into the deepest scarring. It all depends. Seek a board-certified cosmetic dermatologist who also treats acne to help evaluate what will be best for your specific needs. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."