I have lines above my lips. I am 54 and I do not smoke. What would help get rid of them?

what would help to get rid of them

Treatment options for lines around the mouth

In my experience the best treatment options for around the mouth wrinkles are Botox, dermal fillers, or CO2 laser resurfacing. Sometimes a combination of 2 or 3 of the above therapies will provide the optimal result.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

An expert Botox Cosmetic® injector can minimize them without compromising your lip function with a small amount of Botox Cosmetic® or Xeomin® if your lines are very superficial. If they are deeper, there is a newly FDA approved filler called Restylane Silk®, which has been designed specifically to fill lip lines, and last for up to one year. If your lip lines are really deep, then filler in combination with Fraxel® laser (mild/moderate resurfacing) is your best option.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Lip lines and wrinkles often occur in patients who have never smoke a day in their lives.  The lines and wrinkles in these instances are caused by the repeated pursing of your lips when you pronounce and enunciate words and numbers.  Just say the number 2 and you can see how strongly you purse your lips--some people more than others of course.

The best treatment option (and the gold standard) is CO2 laser resurfacing, but there are instances when Botox and fillers may be beneficial.

The attached link and website provides more information.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Lip Lines

Lip lines can be treated several ways. Laser resurfacing is the gold standard for removing a majority of vertical lines permanently. I sometimes combine this with dermabrasion or sanding as is described in my manuscript published in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery entitled "Laserbrasion." I have utilized this technique for over a decade with great results. For non invasive treatments of lip lines Botox and filler can sometimes temporarily suffice.

John Fezza, MD
Sarasota Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lines above lips and options for treatment

the best treatments for this include laser resurfacing and fillers.  I suggest only going to an expert for this.  we are running a clinical trial now on the newest lasers and skin care for this vary condition and treat many patients.  you want to ensure you do not compromise your care for cost or distances in this case as many people i have seen have had poor results from untrained physicians.  this is a difficult condition to treat and needs a meticulous physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Aging or "smokers" lines of the upper lip

There are many treatments for this problem including Botox, laser resurfacing, dermabrasion and fillers.  These can be used alone or combined.  A very nice new filler which works well and last 6 months is Restylane Silk.  Often, when combined with Botox it provides satisfying improvement with no down time.  Resurfacing with lasers or dermabrasion provide longer lasting correction but involve downtime and may cause some pigment change in the skin treated.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Depending on your skin type, down time tolerance and budget, CO2 resurfacing might be your best bet.

Check out some of my photos on realself and the website below.
Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist