I am 6'2 and close to 650 pounds. People said I would need to lose weight in order to get surgery. How do I start?

I have tried several diets in the past but only gain more weight back after the initial loss. I am severely depressed which usually causes me to eat more. I started gaining weight after discharge from the Marines due to weight issues in 1992. My wife left me due to my weight and I have pretty much shut myself off from everyone I care about because I have lost all confidence. I start each day with the best intentions of reducing calories, eating better and trying to exercise but fail every time.

What to do?

Hello, thanks for your post!

Gastric bypass is surgery that helps you lose weight by changing how your stomach and small intestine handle the food you eat.

After the surgery, your stomach will be smaller. You will feel full with less food.

The food you eat will no longer go into some parts of your stomach and small intestine that absorb food. Because of this, your body will not get all of the calories from the food you eat.

Good luck :)

Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon

Keep your mind filled with positive thoughts..

Thank you for your inquiry! Unfortunately, weight loss can be frustrating at times. There are times in which you take a step forward by loosing weight and then quickly fall off track and gain back the weight.  This is due to the many factors such as hormonal imbalances, unhealthy eating habits, and hereditary obesity that may contribute to weight gain/loss. While there isn't an absolute truth or universal rule to weight loss, there are still solutions. From what I understand from your case, it seems that you would benefit from the social support offered in medically assisted weight loss program. Furthermore, weight loss procedures like the gastric balloon or the LapBand which encourage healthy portion control and decrease in appetite, and may also be a great option for you.  I hope this answers your questions! 

Dr. Results

Lose weight in order to get surgery

Hi Tony,

You describe waking up motivated to lose weight and exercise but you recognize depression and loss of confidence. You will benefit not only from dieting but also from counseling. I would advise not to excercise at the present time beyond walking. This will allow you to burn some calories, limit potential injury to joints and allow possibly faster fat burn from dieting. I would strongly recommend a diet like "Ideal Protein" which, at your current weight, will likely allow you to lose 4-5 pounds/week (perhaps more). You will need to eliminate any bad foods/products from your home to avoid temptations. But again, I would strongly recommend a combined approach with dieting and counseling. I would also join a support group which will help you with encouragement and keeping you true to the program.

I hope this is helpful and wish much success in your endeavors

Isaac Raijman, MD
Houston Physician