Indented Acne Scar? (photo)

Hi I have indented scars ,Please find the attached photo .Please susgsets me some suitable cream ,To resurface new skin and let me know if I can contact some one . i have atached the Photo ,please see it something like craters ,the skin has been removed making as holes making skin not smooth ,please suggest me on same and how to apply i stay in bellvue washington regards Vinay

Doctor Answers 6

Acne Scar Treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Vinay.  The picture is not great, but with indented acne scars you need so consider something besides the cream.  Options include:

1.  DEEP chemical peels.

2.  Laser resurfacing, fractional or traditional CO2 or Erbium.

3.  Subcision with dermal fillers.

4.  Traditional Dermabrasion.

Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Treatment for indented acne scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Indented acne scars occur when the inflammation caused by acne causes destruction of surrounding tissue. They can be corrected by stimulating collagen remodelling using chemical peels or laser resurfacing (creams are not generally strong enough) or by injecting filler. Make sure you consult with a board-certified dermatologist who is experienced treating patients with dark skin. Here is a before and after 1 week after only 1 laser treatment on a patient with acne scars and dark skin. Good luck!

Dina D. Strachan, MD
New York Dermatologist


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


It is very hard to advice what kind of treatment would benefit you the best without seeing you. In our practice we give our patients all the options you have, starting with laser, Profractional laser with micro laser peel. If you want more lasting results and bigger results we also recommend a mini facelift, stretching out the skin will help with the deep scars.


Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for "Indented Acne Scars"

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The picture is not great, but it does appear you have many depressed acne scars. There is no cream that will get rid of these acne scars (not even RetinA although RetinA would be good for your skin long-term in terms of improving texture, tone, pores and fine lines).  I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist experienced in treating acne scars. Depressed acne scars can be very easily corrected/improved with injectable fillers. I entirely disagree with most doctors re the benefits of laser in improving depressed acne scars.  When there is a depression (or indentation), it needs to be filled.  Click on the link below to see before and after photos of patients with acne scars treated with filler. 


Channing R. Barnett, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Best Treatment for Acne Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Vinay,

Unfortunately, there is no topical cream that will get rid of the acne scars and restore your smooth skin.  I recommend visiting your dermatologist to begin using a prescription retinoid cream, which will improve the health of your skin and produce a small amount of collagen renewal.  However, in order to see significant improvement in the appearance of your acne scars, you should discuss Fractional CO2 laser treatment with your dermatologist.  

Fractional CO2 laser works for the treatment of acne scars by sending microscopic columns of laser energy through the skin to ablate the scarred skin and produce new collagen to even out the texture of the skin.  

Eric Schweiger, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating indented acne scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately it's not possible to treat this type of acne scarring with a cream. There is just too much deep damage and creams aren't capable of doing anything to it. You should see a board-certified dermatologist for an evaluation and recommendation.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.