Identifying Adult Acne Cause?

Dear Doctors, I'm a 23 yrs old man. Since puberty I'm suffering from acne. In my case this are very deep pots under skin (impossible to pick up even if I would try). Dermatologist prescribes me creams, anibiotics etc. - nothing works permanently. What can I do to identify cause of my problem? I'm allergic prone and I get stressed quite easily, is that might be a cause? Thank You for answers.

Acne causes

Acne vulgaris can hit you at any age and some patients never really grow out of it.  It sounds like you have a more chronic form.  Based on your history it sounds like you have acne vulgaris, although there are other forms of acne (acne rosacea, tropical acne, steroid induced acne, etc.) If you really want permanent results the only treatment option for you is Accutane.  I would strongly recommend this.  It is a 4-6 month treatment course and the results are often amazing and long lasting.  I hope this helps!  Good luck!

Acne and more

First, stress is not the main cause. Second, you are describing a longterm issue that sounds like it was treated with the right approach, but you were still left with acne scars. I will describe for you the basics of acne, and when it comes to the "pots" or scars, I recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist to formally discuss laser options. 

Acne is one of the most common skin diseases. It is often mistakenly thought to affect exclusively the teenaged group. However, a significant number of patients either continue to experience acne or develop new-onset acne after the teenaged years. 

People of all ages can get acne, including newborns and older adults. 

It involves the oil glands around each hair. Hairs grow from a "follicle," which can become plugged by oil. Once the follicle is plugged, germs invade and cause bumps that can fill with pus and become red, swollen, and sometimes painful.

Acne can range from mild to very bad! 

Some topical (applied to skin) products won't really treat very severe acne. 

Acne is most common on the face, back, neck, and chest. There is no cure for acne, but you can treat the symptoms by keeping hair follicles from getting plugged. Once a bump has formed, you can use medicines that help with the redness and swelling.

The most common type of acne medicine is a cream or gel that you put on your skin. Many of these can be bought without a prescription. These medicines may help if your acne is mild. Benzoyl peroxide is the most common type. It is in most over-the-counter acne medicines.

If over-the-counter medicines don't work, your doctor can prescribe other types of medicine. These are usually antibiotics or retinoids. These medicines can cause dryness or redness. If this becomes a problem for you, your doctor can tell you ways to make your skin feel better.

If you have very bad acne, your doctor may prescribe pills. You may need to take these for several months before your skin gets better. If you do seek assistance from a doctor, it is important for them to explain the range of acne--from mild to severe, inflammatory and noninflammatory--and the approaches to treatment. 

Because acne is such a common condition, there are many treatments out there. Some are supported by data, others aren't. Some treatments are expensive, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are better. Overall, give response to treatment some time. How much time? Depends on the severity of your acne, and can range from weeks to months. 

Cause of Adult Acne and Acne Treatment Results

Acne is a very multifaceted condition. It is cause by blockages that often originate from debris within your skin. These are often deeply embedded. Also it is caused by bacterial secretions. And hormonal surges will make the oil glands bigger and more active.

The Spectra laser is able to actually address all these issues within the same session.  It is also safer than oral medications. Based on what you have written, it sounds as if your treatment program did not offer a way to address the oil glands themselves.

The best acne treatment is one that is comprehensive. Here is a video  of a patient who benefitted from the Spectra laser (for existing acne) and the Fraxel Dual for acne scars.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon