Hypertrophic Acne Scars? (photo)

Hi Dr, I have skin colored raised bumps on my chin. The skin has become very thick and uneven. I have PCOS and because of that I've had severe cystic acne, especially on my chin, all my life. Although Daine-5 keeps it under contol, I still break out every now and then. Are they hypertrophic acne scars ? If yes will scarprin silicone scar gel help?

Doctor Answers 3

Hypertrophic Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear patient, These bumps are considered hypertrophic scars if they are hard and don't go away. You would benefit for Silicone gel application and possibly also from injection of the scars with Intralesional kenelog (2.5mg/cc). A very dilute solution once a month for 3 months can significantly reduce the thickness of these marks. yours, Dr. David Rahimi

Treatment of hypertrophic scars on the body - Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hypertrophic acne scars can be treated with a combination of laser, injections, and topical therapy.

Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Acne scars on chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There could be some residual scarring from your acne, but I see more erythema and even the hint of some early pustules to your skin.   This could be due to the impact of abnormal hormonal impact on the oil glands in your chin.  I will often use spironolactone orally as a means to block any additional hormonal hit to the oil glands.  We would then offer BBL(broad band light)therapy to treat any residual bacterial component, treat the inflammation and even shrink any blood vessels which might be contributing to red scarring changes.  Be sure to see a board certified dermatologist so that you can get the appropriate prescription products as well as customized light therapy both for acne and for scarring.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.