What is your advice on how to lose more than 20 pounds in 6 months with reshape?

I feel 20 pounds isn't a big weight loss for 6 months especially having to go through throwing up, cramps and discomfort. What can you do to make sure that you lose more?

The gastric balloon

I like your question a lot. Is the gastric balloon worth it for 20 pound weight loss in 6 months? And you are absolutely right he incidence of nausea, vomiting, and discomfort is very high. It is normal to have a 400 ml balloon in the stomach all the time. It also makes no sense to adopt such a strategy for weight loss in 2016. The gastric balloon idea belongs to the 80s and should have stayed there. We no longer believe that calorie restriction and starvation are effective solutions for weight loss. On the contrary you need to eat loose weight. The question is what to eat. What kind of calories you need to choose to lower insulin resistance, reduce cravings, retrain your gut and fat cells an boost your metabolism. And if this is not enough, you need to add a  metabolic procedure like gastric sleeve or bypass to fix the hormonal imbalance that has lead to weight accumulation. These are the solutions for weight loss that are currently available. the gastric balloon is not. Hope this helps. I appreciate a lot smart patients who actively and critically appraise what is being offered to them to "improve their health"

Houston Bariatric Surgeon

How to lose 20 pounds or more?

There is much to your story that you haven't shared. Vomiting is not a weight loss strategy, it's an eating disorder. Effective weight loss strategies require monitoring your diet and tracking calories in and out. It sounds complicated at first, but gets very easy over time as you fall into a routine. I've had patients lose over 60 pounds in less than a year without any physical discomfort.

Lose weight

Losing weight is not easy for most people who are overweight. A lot depends on you and your personality type, lifestyle, metabolism, and attitude. If you want to learn how to lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your life, you should do a program that encompasses all these aspects. Three main aspects for losing weight are eating right, exercising adequately, and getting support regularly. A restricted diet is necessary, such as < 1000 cals/day. Limit carbs such as sweets, breads, pastas; make sure you eat enough protein, at least 50 gm/day; eat lots of vegetables and some low glycemic fruits; some nuts and oils, such as olive oil. Exercise regularly, every day if you can, with good vigorous activities. See a diet counselor or physician at least every other week; if you have a support person, use them. For further information on my plan, The True Diet, go to my website for further information. I also utilize methods to change your metabolism, to make sure hormones are optimized, to lower inflammation, and much more. It’s not just calories in should be less than calories out. Good Luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Weight Loss

Hi Sherri:

Induced vomiting is an eating disorder.  Best to see a physician focused on weight reduction in you area.