Scar on cheek! Will kenalog help? Or will I have an indent?

I have a keloid or a hypoatrphic scar on my cheek from picking at a deep chemical peel.. if I get kenalog injection with combination of micro needling will I have a dent/atrophy where the injection?? Please let me know before I consider doing it..just want a flat scar.

Doctor Answers 3

Hypertrophic scars and IIT

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend conservative IIT followed by fractional lasers for hypertrophic scars on the cheeks. Aggressive cortisone can cause atrophy. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Treatment Of Scarring On Cheek

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A question such as the one you pose requires us to know your ethnicity and skin type, age, when and exactly how the injury happened, etc.  A picture would also help us determine whether what you have is an hypertrophic scar or an actual keloid.  

The treatments you mentioned, micro needling, kenalog injection, a combination of different lasers, as well as treatment with 5-FU might all help, but the dosing, energy, frequency, treatment intervals, and order of treatment must be customized to the patient's unique situation.  One must also be judicious in the use of kenalog, since too large a dose can cause fat atrophy and contour irregularities.  You would probably derive the most benefit from an in person consultation with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Keloid Facial Scar--Combination of Fraxel, 5fu/steroids, pulsed dye/vbeam/yellow laser, surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without pictures, it's difficult to tell. A combination of lasers and 5fu/steroids will improve appearance. Surgical removal is also an option. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.