Gender Ressaignment Surgery Doctor Referral? (photo)

I am searching for a Gender Reassignment Surgery Doctor in the Las Vegas NV area I am planing to have my breast surgery mid next year then the reassignment surgery as soon as I can after, I live full time female and I will be graduating from Pal Mitchell the school St George early next year then I am moving to Nevada to work so I want to get connected with a doctor as soon as possible Thanks Janessa Wickham

Gender reassignment doctors

There are very limited choices in gender reassignment surgery and the training of those offering these services is quite variable.  There are even fewer practitioners with true plastic and reconstructive surgery training that offer these services.  This is one of the many reasons that I offer comprehensive care to transgender patients including sexual reassignment surgery facial feminization, breast shaping and augmentation and body work.  There are many different ways of performing the surgery and I think the most important parts are #1 preserving the sensitive glans portion with the entire neurovascular pedicle intact and keeping the entire penile shaft skin innervated and viable- this ensures orgasm potential and maximal patient satisfaction #2 appropriate formation of the neoclitoris #3 preservation of entire urethral mucosa for both external aesthetics and internal moisture #4 creating a pouch with maximal functional depth #5 the technique of labia minor and majora formation.  No two surgeons perform these procedures exactly the same and believe it or not in the early days of reassignment it was common to remove and discard the majority of the glans (head of the penis).  Make sure that you understand what is going to be done, what strategies your doctor has to ensure optimal function and aesthetic form and your doctors commitment to transgender care.  Many practices offer piecemeal care and in my opinion this type of doctor hopping to practices unaware and uncommitted to transgender care can result in unnecessary revisions and undesirable results.  I hope this helps!
Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Finding the Right Surgeon?

Thank you for the question and picture.

It will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of plastic surgeon selection. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find, while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

I hope the attached link helps.