Can I do abrasive laser treatment for my acne scar (ice picks, boxes) when my acne is not completely gone?

I have finished my first accutane treatment, and currently not taking anything so my skin can be treated with laser. It has been 4 months, and acne are coming back (a few small pimples every other week), so I am afraid that after 2 more months, my acne will worsen and I wont be able to do laser treatment. Thank you.

Top acne scar treatments in Los Angeles

Many of the treatments we use for acne scar reversal also help reduce the onset an duration of acne pustules and cysts. You may be able to treat both conditions simultaneously. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
#Realself100 Surgeon

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Combination treatment with lasers, fillers, subcision and TCA cross do well for scarring. Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Treating acne scars before acne is clear

I agree with the other doctors in getting the acne under control before pursuing acne scar treatments, especially as some of the scar treatments can cause acne flares.  It possible that your acne will come back but not necessarily to pre-accutane levels so you may not have to go back to accutane but you should see a board-certified dermatologist now to start a regimen for the little acne that you are starting to get.  

Good Luck!
Dr. Shah

Sejal Shah, MD

Treat acne before acne scar revision

Agree with Dr Green, you should wait till your acne is in remission before scar revision. Be patient as this will give you the best outcomes. 

Different scars may require different methods for the best results, and many of these are not compatible with Accutane. Let your dermatologist guide you as to your program. Once your acne is in remission treatments illustrated in the article below can help with scarring. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne and Scar Treatments

I would definitely wait and get your acne under better control before I would treat your scars.  You may need a second course of Accutane or other treatment first.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who has expertise with acne and scars for the best results.