I Need to Go Abroad for Maxillofacial Surgery for Sleep Apnea. Where Should I Go?

I have been successfully treated for Central and Obstructive Sleep Apneas with CPAP titration. I now want maxillofacial surgery. My pulmonary MD says that I am an excellent candidate. I would love to be able to get off of my ResMed machine with corrective jaw surgery. I have two very recent sleep studies, a recent EKG, a recent MRI, and labs and consults. Which countries and which doctors should I consider? I can't afford to get this done in the USA.

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon

The first step in treatment resides in recognition of the symptoms and seeking appropriate consultation. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons offer consultation and treatment options.In addition to a detailed history, the doctors will assess the anatomic relationships in the maxillofacial region. With cephalometic (skull x-ray) analysis, the doctors can ascertain the level of obstruction. Sometimes a naso-pharyngeal exam is done with a flexible fiber-optic camera. To confirm the amount of cardiovascular compromise and decreased oxygenation levels, a sleep study may be recommended to monitor an individual overnight.

Red Bank Dentist

Maxillomandibular Surgery for obstructive sleep apnea

Maxillomandibular advancement for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea is the most effective operation for reducing the apnea hypopnea index and improving cognition associated with OSA. It is likely a covered benefit based on your insurance plan. MMA requires skillful hands and large movements. I would only consider a surgeon who specializes in OSA surgery. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sleep Apne

Orthognathic surgery to correct OSA is typically something that is covered by most medical insurances. It sounds that you have all of the appropriate studies to show that this is a procedure that is medically necessary. If you have medical insurance you should ask them if you have coverage for this type of procedure. Good luck -Dr M

Manolis Manolakakis, DMD
Shrewsbury Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon