I am Asian with dark skin. I have moderate acne scars on my cheeks!

Can anyone recommend a good acne scar specialist in Florida,United States?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Moderate acne scars on Asian or darker skin types

At our practice we use a variety of lasers and non-light based procedures such as microneedling to help with acne scars.  We typically require an in-person consultation to create a unique treatment plan that is safe and effective for the patient that addresses their skin goals.  

In the case of Asian skin or darker skin types I suggest Alex laser which is a q-switched laser that has special settings safe and effective for Asian skin types for brown pigmentation on acne scars.  In addition, microneedling is a great option as it is customizable for all skin types and can be done in conjunction with PRP (platelet rich plasma) which helps the skin heal faster.  If there is redness within the scars than VBeam is the gold standard.

The latest in fractional rejuvenation is Sublative Fractional RF and that is a procedure we do quite often for Asian skin types as well as darker skin types for improvement of scars, lines/wrinkles, brown spots and stretch marks.

Chemical peels are a great option as well such as VI Peel, Rejuvenize peel or a series of Vitalize peels.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Acne scar treatment in darker skin type

With darker skin types, I find treatments such as non-ablative lasers, chemical peels and microneedling are most helpful. Actually, the latter (microneedling) is one of the most popular treatments in my clinic for darker skinned patients with scarring. The microneedling device does not generate heat and so the risk of Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH) is minimized. Subcision, during which a special needle is used to break up fibrous septa below the skin is also helpful. A vascular laser such as the Excel V or V-Beam can also be used for red scars. Combination treatments work best. 

Many options

I find subcision, fillers and infini (bipolar radiofrequency needles) tend to work great for patients.  Also, if you have a component of red in your acne, that can be addressed with a pulsed-dye laser meant to get the red out.  Good luck

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scar treatment for dark skin

Please see the web reference below
If you have rolling or atrophic scars you are best off to avoid peeling and have sub cision with fillers.

Thanks

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Scars in Asian skin type. Read more

I try to avoid lasers, if possible - however the best treatment will depend on the scars you have. If you have atrophic and rolling scars, I like INFINI RF micro needling combined with PRP. 

BUT if you have Ice pick scars, then TCA CROSS is best.

See video for full explanation and logic. 

Cheers
Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist