Long scars

Hellow... doctors i had tummy tuck,breast augmentation,Arm lift & thigh lift been a month now.. after a massive weight loss..Now i have alots of scary scars what should i use to remove ther scars now am only using mederma cream any idea about this please..

Arm lift arm reduction brachioplasty scar treatment scar treatment silicone compression garments Fraxel

Thank you for your question about the treatment of post-operative scars after a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, arm lift ( brachioplasty ) and  thigh lift.  First of all, congratulations on your weight loss.  I m sure you would rather have these scars than be carrying all that extra skin and fat after massive weight loss.  In regards to the scars, there are two phases: the initial or primary  phase and the second phase.  The initial phase lasts for the first three months after surgery.   Since your scars are only one month old, you are in the initial phase and I would suggest three things: silicone creams, silicone tape, and compression.   First, I would suggest topical silicone based creams, like Biocorneum and Mederma.   I would apply one of these silicone creams two or three times a day. Second, I would also suggest daily use of silicone tape. Third, you must apply compression to the scars.  Compression helps to flatten the scars.  After three months, you are in the second phase.  During this phase, you can apply scar therapy.  This can include micro-needling with a Dermapen and several different laser depending on the appearance of your scars.  These lasers include the Fraxel and the V-beam laser.  If these modalities do not work and you are not satisfied with your scars, six to eight months after your surgery, I would suggest surgical revision of your scars.  This would include the surgical removal of your scars.  This does not remove your scars, but replaces your scars ideally, with a smaller scar.  I hope this helps to answer your questions regarding the treatment of scars after your tummy tuck, breast augmentation, arm lift ( brachioplasty ) and thigh lift.  Good luck! If you have any other questions regarding post operative scar treatment, please contact my office.  Sincerely, Dr. J. Timothy Katzen

Scars are normal but will improve

Your scars will improve over time, I recommend silicone sheets on the incisions and gentle massaging the incisions morning and evening.

Narongdej Jiarapeepan, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Long Scars

Thick scars can develop after any surgical procedures. The length of the scar can not be manipulated. There are many products available to modify and improve scars. These products should be started with 10-14 days after surgery and continued for a minimum of 6 months.  I recommend constant taping of the scar, this will help flatten and lighten the scar. Silicone gel or silicone sheets are also very helpful to improve scars.

Steven H. Wiener, MD

Long scars

As scars mature over months to a year, the quality of the scar usually improves.  Mederma is reasonable.

Worried about scars.

Thanks for your question. Please consider Embrace scar prevention. It has better clinical data than Mederma. Embrace is to be used 14 to 21 days after the procedure so it may not be possible to get it in time, but even a small improvement might be worth while. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Scars after body contouring

Hi, Cute Princess, and thank you for the question.  The first thing that you should know is that your incisions are very immature, and their appearance with evolve and mature over a year of more.  Your incision and scar care should be guided by your surgeon, but there are a number of things that may help the process of scar maturation.  Topical scars aids may help the quality of the scar, and most surgeons prefer silicone based agents, as there is the most clinical literature supporting its use.  Compression and massage of the scars can help.  Sun protection is essential.  As the scar matures, depending on the appearance of the incisions, your physician may consider injections (kenalog, 5-FU), steroid strips, light therapies, or even laser resurfacing.  Follow up regularly with your physician to optimize your results, and best of luck for an easy recovery.

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon