I am breaking out on only my arms, neck and side of my face.

Chemical peels can address acne scars

Hi Ajahmarie, thanks for your question.

Having acne breakouts on different parts of your body can be attributed to various factors. Acne on the arms can be keratosis pilaris which appears as small spots that give skin a rough, goose bumpy appearance. This condition is caused by poor circulation and overproduction of dead cells at the hair follicle. Regular exfoliation and moisturizers with salicylic acid can be helpful.

If the problem persists, it could be a sign of how efficiently your body is receiving and utilizing vitamins from your diet. Acne on the neck might indicate your adrenal glands (hormones) are in overdrive. Other options: are stress or excessive sugar intake. Or simply wearing shirts with tight collars or have greasy hair that constantly touches the skin in this area can cause acne breakouts in this area. But if the breakouts continue, you should see a doctor for a diagnosis and treatment...

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne treatments

Thank you for your question. Acne treatments are based on the type of acne and skin type you have. Treatments include oral antibiotics, medicated creams and ointments, Accutane, or cosmetic procedures such as peels, laser treatments, or facials. In my experience, I found a combination therapy of oral antibiotics and topical medications to be effective in treating mild to moderate acne. Once acne is under control, some individuals need to be on a maintenance therapy with continued use of topical medications to control acne breakouts. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to have your skin evaluated and to discuss treatment options that best suit your needs. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD