Is it more effective to treat scars when they're recent? (Photo)

Hello, I recently got the chance of being able to try out a scar-reducing procedure with a microneedling device known as the Dermapen. In general, though, is scar treatment more effective when the scars being treated are more fresh, so to speak, (e.g., 1 to 3 months) compared to treating them when they've aged (3+ months)? Would anyone know if the Dermapen would be more effective with scars that are recent compared to older scars?

Scars on Face/Body -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2, Erbium), TCA Cross, Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Fillers, Tattooing, Surgery

is always easier to treat a new scar, because the skin is still soft
and responsive. Older scars may take more treatments and may not
resolve as well. I use a combination of therapies rather than relying
on just one, for best results. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Treating scars - early vs late

It is much more effective to treat scars early vs late. Dermapen is only one way to treat scars. Numerous studies have shown the VBeam to help with scars, particularly surgical scars, when treated just after the sutures are removed. Keep in mind that all scars aren't the same and treatment needs to be individualized. I also treat scars with the Infini, Fraxel 1550, and topicals.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

New Acne Scars

It is much better to start treatmemt on your acne scars right away. You will need a combination of lasers to treat these scars. I like microneedling but not for this type of scars. Please consult an expert in acne scar treatments for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Treating acne scar early versus later

I think the approach is entirely different. If it is red and inflammed the treatment is approach towards the active acne. This would be antibiotics and topical treatments. Once this is settled then you can treat the scars that are left. Then the approach is a multilayered approach most of the time except when the scars are superficial.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon