Cystic Acne Scars? (photo)

I suffered with cystic acne and now trying to find treatment for acne scars. I used over the counter acne creams and just recently a TCA of 25% but hasn't done much effect. I heard of laser acne treatment but there are different kinds and want to know which is the best for my skin type.

Doctor Answers 3

Severe acne scarring

 The first thing to do is to get permanent control of your acne, probably with Accutane. Then multiple treatments over time will help. For ice pick scars, punch excisions will be necessary. If they are tiny, they can be treated with monthly applications of trichloracetic acid precisely placed with a tooth pick. Subcision one of more times will help release the depressed areas from the underlying scars tethering them down. Lastly, you will need resurfacing. I prefer both Active FX and Deep FX (= Total FX) at aggressive settings. Good luck. Be patient and you can realize significant improvement.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Cystic acne scars such as yours are best treated with Fraxel and injections

I have treated many patients with acne scars such as yours and I have had the best results with a combination of lasers and injections. Red scars do best with the V-Beam.  Depressed scars do best with fillers to plump and even out the depressions.  I then follow these injections with the Fraxel laser.  It will take five Fraxel laser treatments with the 1550 setting to repair the damage from your acne scars.  I have had tremendous success with this combination of treatments.

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews


If you go to a plastic surgeons office you have a few options for acne scars. There is micro laser peel and pro fractional laser and even a mini facelift to stretch out the skin and make the acne scars fade.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
3.3 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.