What antibiotic is better for cystic acne in the jawline oracea or doxycycline?

Oracea and doxycycline are the same medication

Thank you for your question. Oracea and doxycyline are actually the same medication, Oracea is just a branded version of doxycycline that consists of 30 mg doxycycline and 10 mg extended release doxycycline (40 mg total). Generic doxycycline comes in various other strengths, ranging from 20-200 mg.

Oracea is a wonderful medication for rosacea and mild to moderate acne, given in conjunction with the appropriate topical medications. However, for moderate to severe nodulocystic acne, Oracea may not be enough. For these patients, I will often prescribe doxycycline 100 mg 1-2 times daily.

Without evaluating you in person, it is difficult to determine whether Oracea or generic doxycycline is better for you. I recommend having an evaluation by a board-certified dermatologist to determine a regimen that works with you!

I hope this answer is helpful. Best of luck.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne and Isotretinoin

The only "cure" for acne is isotretinoin. I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist for further evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Antibiotics for acne

Thank you for your question. The generic medication of Oracea is doxycycline, but the difference is that Oracea is a 40 mg capsule whereas doxycycline can come in many different doses. To determine which dose of doxycycline is best for you depends on the severity and type of acne you have. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to have your skin evaluated and to discuss treatment options that best suits your skin. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD