How can I set up a sleep test at the hospital?

The only sleep test I did was a take home one and the Respiratory clinic analyzed the data and said I had sleep apnea and kept pushing me to buy the CPAP machine. I bought the machine because my benefits form my employer covers the whole cost. This clinic could not tell me why I have apnea. I just want to know how I can cure it so I need to know what is actually causing it. I have a deviated septum and I am going for surgery, but there may be more factors.

Sleep Test - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

The first step in treatment resides in recognition of the symptoms and seeking appropriate consultation. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons offer consultation and treatment options.

Red Bank Dentist

Setting up a sleep study?

A sleep study is the basis for diagnosing obstructive sleep apnea. However, a polysomnogram won't tell you the site of obstruction during sleep. A sleep endoscopy may be helpful to determine where the site of obstruction exists and then target that site. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Obstructive sleep apnea

Apnea is defined as a cessation of airflow (breathing) lasting for at least 10 seconds. Hypopnea is a reduction in airflow for 10 seconds or more that leads to an oxygen desaturation level of at least 4% and/or an arousal. Snoring and OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) patient suffers a decrease in size of the upper airway space. The lower jaw often drops downward and backward, the tongue and soft palate move towards the posterior wall of the oropharynx resulting in a decreased airway space.The decrease in airway size results in resistance to the airflow, a decreased airflow, and an increase in velocity of the airflow during inspiration and expiration.This increase in velocity may lead to snoring and/or obstructive sleep apnea.
The physician may refer the patient for an overnight polysomnography study in a Sleep Clinic. The polysomnography can determine the existence, the type (Central, Obstructive or Mixed), the severity of any existing apnea, and the effectiveness of any completed treatment.
Medical conditions resulting from apnea are many including bradycardia, tachycardia, systemic hypertension, pulmonary hypertension, acute pulmonary edema, reversible high grade proteinuria and possibly sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
Symptoms of an adult patient with OSA may include chronic snoring, obesity, hypertension, excessive daytime sleepiness, cognitive dysfunction, memory and judgment impairment, irritability, decreased libido, nocturia, sweating, fatigue, headaches, depression, and an increased tendency for accidents.Children may also exhibit poor school performance and hyperactivity.
Dental participation in management of the patients through oral prosthesis therapy has been accepted as an appropriate treatment modality by the American Sleep Disorders Association in a “Practice parameters for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea with oral appliances” document. The recommendations include that patients with primary snoring or mild OSA who do not respond to behavioral changes and also those patients with moderate to severe OSA but who cannot tolerate Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) be treated with oral prostheses. Not only is dental care appropriate but should be considered before other medical means in patients with primary snoring or mild OSA and who do not respond to behavioral changes!

Daniel H. Chong, DDS
Federal Way Prosthodontist