Is it safe to preform Smart Lipo when one has a hernia in the belly button? What could be the worst that could happen?

Umbilical hernia and liposuction

This scenario is actually quite common. The procedure can be performed safely if done appropriately. Most small hernias do not contain viscera but just mesenteric fat. If the hernia is easily reducible a good surgeon can perform liposuction pretty close to it without any damage. A good phyusical exam is necessary before the surgery to plan how to do the procedure safely. I have done this many times without any problems. Just find a good surgeon with ample experience in liposuction, better if he also performs hernia repair as part of his surgical skills. Good luck

Chandler Physician

Smartlipo in to hernia

Dear Laura 

It is definitely not advised to have smartlipo when you have a hernia but then there are special occasions where it can be fine, provided your practitioner is an expert and really knows what they are doing. 

The problem with hard and fast rules is that the human body is not a textbook and the real world has endless variations so one has to be sensible but stay safe.

Kind Regards

Dr Dinesh Maini 

Dinesh Maini, MBChB
London Physician

Hernia

I would not recommend liposuction with a hernia. Fix the hernia first, then get liposuction. The risk is puncture to the intestine.

Christopher Balgobin, MD
Minneapolis Physician

Liposuction and hernia

Thank you for your question. The answer is that, yes, you could have Smartlipo with a known, small umbilical (belly button) hernia, but the surgeon cannot go anywhere near that site for the treatment. So, you'll have some residual fat there. You should be seen by a general surgeon for repair of the hernia. Then, liposuction should be safer in this zone. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

LIpo can help

Your hernia will be known to your doctor and is part of the physical exam.
In addition, your doctor will check for diastasis of your abdominal muscles.
A small hernia and diastasis can be avoided safely with liposuction or Smartlipo.
LIpo into a hernia would be bad, but can be avoided.
Not necessary to fix if it can be avoided during lipo.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure

Thank you for your question, lauralynn60. I agree that having SmartLipo when you have a hernia can lead to potential complications. You can hedge this potential complication by receiving the best possible treatment from board certified facial and body plastic surgeons.

SculpSure is an FDA-approved treatment that targets subcutaenous fat. I am not sure if you are a potential candidate because I have not seen pictures, but I would recommend you consider this in your consutlation with your board certified facial plastic surgeon because it can melt up to 25% of your stubborn unwanted subcutaenous fat in a easy 25-minute in-office treatment that feels like a warm heating pad is applied.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hernia and liposuction... Be aware...

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Hernias are defects in your abdominal wall that allow the intestine surface into your fat and skin.
Liposuction is a method that uses blunt straws (with or with out gadgets attached to them) for the removal of fat.

Unfortunately, not all the doctors that do liposuction are surgeons. Which may result in underestimation of the hernia defect and contents, resulting in catastrophic perforations of the herniated intestine.

Make sure that you have your hernia evaluated by a surgeon. To try to prevent major complications once you decide on having your smartLipo

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this procedure.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Hernia and Liposuction

Its best to have the hernia repaired before under going liposuction especially if a high definition procedure is going to be performed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hernia and liposuction

Hernia means that the intestine has gone through an opening of the abdominal wall and it is sitting under the skin. Liposuction in this situation could lean to bowel perforation, peritonitis and death. It is best to have the hernia repaired first.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon