21 with terrible wrinkles. My dermatologist suggested laser treatment? (Photo)

Please tell me there's some way to fix this. I started getting wrinkles under my eyes over the summer but they were tolerable until I tried treating them with Retin-A. I only used the Retin-A twice and it did this to me. I got the Retin-A from a dermatologist in order to treat a facial scar but I had some left over and thought I would try it for my wrinkles that weren't even bad before. My dermatologist suggested laser treatment but I've heard more bad things than good about those.

Laser Options for Wrinkles around the Eyes

Thanks for your question!

There are a number of options for you and they often work best in tandem. 

Absolutely there can be risks to lasers so make sure you consult with a qualified laser expert with great equipment and skills.

The fact that you got worse with Retin-A suggests a component of skin dehydration - drink plenty of water, supplement with fish oil and use a great eye cream. This is a first step, but won't address the loss of collagen in the area. 

Botox or other similar medications can reduce the amount you squint or crinkle the skin in this area to prevent worsening. Sunglasses are also critical.

Finally, the core of improving the quality of young skin around the eye is fractional laser therapy. You need someone who works with laser eye shields so they can get right up to your lashes, but keep your eye safe. I've used a number of fractional lasers and with your coloring and wrinkles, I think your very best option is Halo with someone experienced in using it on eyelids.

Incline Village Physician

Under Eye Wrinkle Remover--lasers, fillers, microneedling/prp

Fillers, lasers, and microneedling/PRP can improve under eye wrinkle. My patients try to get non surgical treatments to avoid surgery. We use PRP and stem cells there often. I suggest consulting with an expert to develop a treatment plan best suited for your short and long term goals. Best, Dr. Emer.